> On 28 Sep 2018, at 18:37, agrayson2...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> On Friday, September 28, 2018 at 4:04:41 PM UTC, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>
>> On 28 Sep 2018, at 11:32, agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
>>

>> On Friday, September 28, 2018 at 1:02:36 AM UTC, kujawski...@gmail.com
>> <http://gmail.com/> wrote:
>> Hello I think this good forum for this topic - what do you think about
>> Mathematical Universe, there are very big arguments for that hypothesis:
>> - applicability of mathematic, to natural sciences
>> - all we discovere are structures and I didnt find explanation of the
>> diference beetwen physical structures and mathematical structures.
>> - scientists and philosophers of science tend to affirm belive in diverse
>> structure and homogeneous substance (neutral monism) or mathematicism vide
>> Ladyman, Ross, French, Tegmark etc.
>>
>> What are your thoughts.
>>
>> If it's what I think it is, it's demonstrably wrong. One counter example
>> suffices; there are plane wave solutions to Maxwell's equations, but if you
>> know what plane waves are, they clearly do NOT exist in physical reality.
>

> With mathematicalism, we don’t assume that there is a (primitive/irreducible)
> physical reality.
>
> You are begging the question.
>
> In what way?  The MUH says, for example, that for every mathematical solution
> or equation, there is a (perceived) physical universe mapped identically
> from, or into that solution or equation. I gave a simple counter example. AG

If that is the MUH, then that it is plainly ridiculous, indeed. To have a
perceived universe, you need a measure on the computation/sigma-sentences. The
physical emerges from an arithmetical phenomenon (assuming mechanism in
cognitive science).

The version of mathematicalism implied by mechanism does not lead any choice
for the “physical reality”, it has to be a statistic on computations structured
by the “observable” mode of self-reference. That indeed predicts quantum logic,
and the many “histories” interpretation of arithmetic. Oracle are not
impossible, but there are no evidence for them, and should be invoked in last
resort (a bit like the “Alien” in cosmology).

The empirical evidence is that there is no physical universe at all.

Bruno