On Wednesday, October 10, 2018 at 12:10:57 PM UTC-5, John Clark wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 12:45 AM Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> >One could look at it that way. In terms of biological evolution, what
>> has turned out to be intelligent beings (us!) are also conscious beings.
>

> Yes but ask yourself why would Evolution do that. Natural Selection can
> see intelligence but it can't see consciousness any better than we can see
> it in others, and yet it produced at least one conscious being (me) and
> probably more. Why? The only conclusion I can come up with is that
> consciousness is an unavoidable byproduct of intelligence.  Evolution
> selected for intelligence and consciousness just road in free on
> intelligence's coattails.
>

>> > it got a little confusing. Is IBM Watson [
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watson_(computer) ] "intelligent"?
>>

> What's confusing about that? If a man did what Watson did you wouldn't
> hesitate to say that what the man did was smart, so to insist that if a
> machine does the exact same thing it is not smart would make no more sense
> than saying if a white man does something it shows intelligence but if a
> black man does the same thing it does not.
>

>> >There are some AI scientists (or SI - Synthetic Intelligence, to
>> contrast with AI [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_intelligence
>> ] who say to make truly intelligent artifacts they must be conscious.
>>

> I believe that too because you can't have intelligent behavior without
> consciousness (although the reverse may not always be true). And that's why
> I also believe the Turing Test must work not just for intelligence but for
> consciousness too because like Evolution by Natural Selection the Turing
> Test deals exclusively with observable behavior. It may not be a perfect
> test but its all we have and all we'll ever have so it will have to do.
>
> >  How do you make a conscious robot?
>>

> Easy, just make it intelligent. After that I would have no more reason to
> doubt its conscious than I have to doubt my fellow human beings are
> conscious.
>
> John K Clark

Biological evolution had its own path to intelligent, conscious beings, but
what are humans doing with technology?

There is something to there being two fields with their own conferences: AI
(Artificial *Intelligence*) and AC (Artificial *Consciousness* - sometimes
lumped with Consciousness Science, or The Science of Consciousness - it's
own interdisciplinary science).

I put Intelligence under the term *linguisticity *- having the ability to
converse in language, having knowledge, like some Sophia (@RealSophiaRobot)
is supposed to have. You would sit down and have an intelligent
conversation with "her" about any subject.

But the likes of Philip Goff (@Philip_Goff) and Galen Strawson say that
*experientiality* is what is missing, and it is that that has to be
incorporated into the picture of matter.

I think the latter are right, so one must take the challenge head on: What
is the language of experiential modalities and how does it relate to
conscious objects?

- pt