On 10/14/2018 2:48 PM, John Clark wrote:

    >/And there are sound reasons for doubting the consciousness of
    computers -/

Name one of them that could not also be used to doubt the consciousness of your fellow human beings.

The reason for not doubting that other human beings are conscious is that (1) I am conscious and (2) other human beings are made of the same stuff in approximately the same way that I am and (3) they behave the same way in relation to what I am conscious of, e.g. they jump at a sudden loud sound.