On 10/25/2018 9:03 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
Now, when you say that there was no mathematics before writing, I am not sure. I think the incas have developed ways to compute (notably the position of the star in the sky) before writing. I think that arithmetic precede thought which precedes languages, and I can identify machines, words, numbers, finitely-describale-thing,  as opposed to the meaning which are usually infinite, but will belong to the machines/numbers mind.

People counted on their body parts, joints, fingers, etc long before there was writing.  They're called "digits" for a reason.