On Friday, November 2, 2018 at 3:45:53 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 1 Nov 2018, at 19:43, John Clark <johnk...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 2:27 PM Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> *> infinite time Turing machines are more powerful than ordinary Turing
>> machines*
>

> That is true, it is also true that if dragons existed they would be
> dangerous and if I had some cream I could have strawberries and cream, if I
> had some strawberries.
>
> *> How  "real" you think this is depends on whether you are a Platonist or
>> a fictionalist.*
>>

> No, it depends on if you think logical contradictions can exist, if they
> can then there is no point in reading any mathematical proof and logic is
> no longer a useful tool for anything.
>

> No Turing machine can solve the halting problem. You are right on this.
> But an oracle can, or a machine with infinite speed can.
>
> Now, such machine have only be introduced (by Turing) to show that even
> such “Turing machine with magical power making them able to solve the
> halting problem” are still limited and cannot solve, for example the
> totality problem (also an arithmetical).
>
> Turing showed that there is a hierarchy of problem in arithmetic, where
> adding magic (his “oracle”) never make any machine complete. It is a way to
> show how complex the arithmetical reality is. Adding more and more magical
> power does not lead to completeness.
>
> Post and Kleene have related such hierarchies with the number of
> alternating quantifiers used in the arithmetical expression. P is a sigma_0
> = pi_0 formula, without quantifier.
>
> ExP(x, y). Sigma_1 (negation = AxP(x,y) = Pi_1, more complex than sigma_1,
> already not computable).
> ExAyP(x, y, z)  = Sigma_2 (beyond today’s math!) (negation = Pi_2).
> Etc.
>
> More and more “infinite task” are needed.
>
> Note that such magic does not change the “theology”. It remains the same
> variants of the Gödel-Löb-Solovay self-reference logics (G and G*).
>
> Bruno

There are other "Turing machine" models other than infinite-time ones
people have "invented", e.g.* inductive* Turing machines:

*Algorithmic complexity as a criterion of unsolvability*
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/cd8f/442a9f7667891fff6f276a1bc638dd59b937.pdf
:

Let us take an *inductive Turing machine M *that given a description of the
Turing machine T and first n + 1 words x0, x1, . . . , xn from the list x0,
x1, . . . , xn, . . ., produces the (n + 1)th partial output. This output
is equal to 1 when the machine T halts for all words x0, x1, . . . , xn
given as its input, and is equal to 0 when the machine T does not halt for,
at least, one of these words. In such a way, *the machine M solves the
totality problem for Turing machines*.

?

cf.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super-recursive_algorithm#Inductive_Turing_machines