On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 11:44 AM Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > *Pure numbers may not correspond to point in time and space, but their
> relationships do. *

Where and when did 2+2=4 happen? Does that relationship between 2 and 4
ever change?

> *> Doesn't the fact that "John Clark is conscious of every point of time
> in his life, *

But I haven't been  conscious of every point of time in my life, only about
2/3 of the time.

> > *and none of those John Clark view points ceases to exist", already
> contradict your idea of change?*

Every point along the time axis of my world-line corresponds to a DIFFERENT
arrangement of matter in space. Things change and I live.

> *> "Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about
> telescopes."*

Bad analogy. The Andromeda Galaxy would exist without telescopes but
computations would not exist without computers or brains made of something
that can change.

> > *People are convicted without there being any eye witnesses or direct
> evidence all the time.  *

Memory can be very unreliable so I don't give much credibility to
eyewitness testimony even if they're honest, I think circumstantial
evidence and the deductions that come from it are far more compelling .

> > *In those cases it requires indirect evidence *

Indirect evidence is still evidence, invisible evidence is not. You claim
to have a invisible photo of my fingerprints on the murder weapon, but
that's not good enough to send me to jail, not even in Trump's America, at
least not yet.

> >> it's easy to understand why we can't see beyond the Hubble volume, but
>> it's very hard to understand why we can't detect non-material Turing
>> machines if they exist,
>>

> *> Why is that hard to understand?*

I can't explain why we can't detect non-material Turing machines if they
exist and are a vital part of reality and I'm pretty sure you can't either
because if you could you'd have done so by now.

> >> and if they are responsible for our consciousness it's even harder to
>> understand why a change in the matter in our brain changes our
>> consciousness and a change in our consciousness changes the matter in our
>> brain.
>>

> > T*his is explained well in Markus Muller's paper:*
> https://arxiv.org/pdf/1712.01826.pdf

Muller wasn't even trying to explain that, the paper isn't talking about
what we're discussing, he specifically says "*The question of consciousness
is irrelevant for this paper*". Muller also says in the paper "*objective
reality is not assumed on this approach*" and that's fine but he certainly
isn't the first to question realism, Bell told us more that 50 years ago
that things can't be local and realistic. But we were talking about
subjective reality.

> > *Among the predictions he reached assuming only the existence of
> computations:*
> *The Big Bang:  Abby will identify a singular state in the past, where the
> universe was particularly “small” and “simple” in the algorithmic sense. *

As I said as far as consciousness is concerned it doesn't matter if the
argument is sound or not, but as long as we're on the subject, It would
seem to me  it would be even simpler if the previous state of the universe
was more or less the same as it is today, if Fred Hoyle's Steady State
Cosmology had turned out to be correct I have no doubt somebody would be
using virtually identical arguments to say that Solomonoff induction had
predicted the Steady State. After all an algorithm that does not need to
change anything doesn't need to be very long. I'd be a lot more impressed
if he predicted something we didn't already know, something testable and
not obvious.

Another problem is it's not entirely clear what he means by simple, is the
Mandelbrot Set simple? In one way its infinitely complex and yet it can be
generated with just a few lines of code. You mentioned Kolmogorov
complexity, it says the complexity of a mathematical object is the size of
the smallest algorithm that can produce it, but the problem is in general
there is no way to compute the exact size of that smallest algorithm, you
can't even compute a lower bound for it.

> * > Addressing your point with changing matter of the brain being
> correlated to changing experience*

But that's not all, changing experience also corresponds with changing
matter in the brain. logically if X then Y is true and Y then X is also
true then  X=Y.

>  *In particular, her observations do not fundamentally supervene on this
> “physical universe”;*

I don't know what torturous logic you used to reach that conclusion.

>  it is merely a useful tool to predict her future observations.

And that useful tool predicts she will have no future observations.whatsoever
if a bullet is blasted into the physical matter in her brain.

>  *Nonetheless, this universe will seem perfectly real to her,*

And that is what's important if we're still talking about subjectivity.

> *If the measure µ that is computed within her computational universe*

A computational universe needs to be able to compute, and computations need
for something to change, and pure numbers can't change but matter/energy
can.

> *> Appearance of Physical LawsObservation 8.4 (Principle of persistent
> regularities). Computable regularities that were holding in the past tend
> to persist in the future.*

There is no way to observe persistent regularities without memories and
memories can't happen unless the past changed something that persisted into
the present, and there is no way to compute anything about regularities
unless the computer or brain has something in it that can change. If it's
not matter/energy then what is that something? I haven't heard anybody give
even the hint of an answer to that.

*> He gets all of these results from straight computer science, considering
> what observers would see if indeed, all computations exist  *

Don't you think it's odd he "predicted" things we already knew and not one
thing we didn't? I think it's odd. And I still don't understand what is
doing all the computing in this non-physical computational universe of his.

> *I don't think the evidence above is invisible.  We're talking about
> predictions of theories, not of the theories themselves (which of course
> are invisible).  You can't point to a "law of physics" any more than I can
> point to you a non-material computation*

I can point to physical law doing something in fact doing everything, but
non-material computation does nothing and you can't point to nothing.

> There is plenty of counter evidence. Particles can do computations but
>> computations can't do particles.
>>

> > You said particles can be simulated in a previous e-mail.

Nothing can be simulated without a computer and a computer won't work
unless there is something in it that can change. And no computation can
tell you exactly what a particle's position in space and velocity through
space is. And no computation can tell you exactly how much energy a
particle has in an instant in time. Particles don't need computations but
computations need particles because particles can change but numbers can't.

>>  A change in the matter in our brain changes our consciousness and a
>> change in our consciousness changes the matter in our brain. And our
>> consciousness can't change numbers and numbers can't change our
>> consciousness.
>>

> *> Replace "numbers" with "computations" and your sentence doesn't hold. *

Yes it does, our consciousness can't change computations without changing
matter and computations can't change consciousness without changing matter,
and that's why invisible computations are such a bore.

> > *You keep injecting the word numbers.  It is the truth concerning
> relations between numbers provides the platform for computations*

The truth or falsehood of these numerical relationships 2+3=5 and 4+6 =7
never changes and therefore are incapable of being the working ingredient
of a computer or a brain.

> > *just as it is the relations between electrons in a transistor that
> enable the computations,*

But particles are different from numbers, the relationship between
electrons in a transistor can change.

>> ignores Quantum Mechanics.
>>

> > You get the block universe view with just special relativity, which is
> QM friendly.

Even Einstein knew special relativity gives a very incomplete description
of reality because it says nothing about gravity or even acceleration,
that's why he worked for 10 years and came up with general relativity; but
even that is incomplete because it says nothing about quantum mechanics.

*>Yes, the mind needs to change (from its internal point of view). *

I'm glad we at least agree on that.

* > But would you agree that the mind's substrate does not need to
change? **I.e.,
> the mind could exist within what is objectively an unchanging object*.

NO, I would most certainly NOT agree!!

> I thought you subscribed to the computational theory of mind.

I do. A mind just needs computations and computations just needs for
something to change.

> *> What you use to build a mind is irrelevant,*

It would be impractical but you could build a intelligent conscious mind
out of Legos or beer cans but one thing is NOT irrelevant, whatever you use
it must have the ability to change, and numbers don't have that ability and
neither does numerical relationships.

> An invisible game that can't DO anything isn't much of a game, it's not
>> much of anything.
>>

> *> Unless you happen to live in that game.*

You can't live in the game unless the pattern of electrical charges inside
the computer running the Life game is changing.

>>> simulate other them to access information about them. This is what we do
>>> when we run our material computers in this universe*

>> simulate Harry Potter's school at Hogwarts, and that is exactly what they
>> did in the movies.
>>

> > Your point?

Guess.

> *>>> Where are all of the trillions of yottabytes of the first 10^36
>>> digits of Pi stored? *

>> the entire universe lacks the computational resources to calculate the
>> first 10^36 digits of PI then it would be meaningless to say PI has 10^36
>> digits. In fact if space is not continuous then a circle does not exist if
>> we use the standard definition of a circle.
>>

> > You are elevating physical material to the supreme explanation of
> everything,

Yes, but of course we don't yet have an explanation of everything
about physical
material and we may never have it.

> > *Kids in school are taught the digits of Pi go on forever.*

I know it's shocking but it's conceivable my sixth grade math teacher might
have been wrong.

> *But in your view they only go on so long as we can bother to build a
> computer to compute them. *

The amount of information that can be contained in a sphere depends on its
surface area not its volume, Seth Lloyd has figured that the total
amount ofinformation
the the observable universe could contain if it were dense enough to form a
Black Hole would be 10^124 bits but it isn't that dense so it would
probably be closer to 10^90 bits; so if it's expressed in binary notation I
don't see how PI could have a 10^91 bit and certainly not a 10^125'th bit.

> *What does this say about other universes out there*

Their calculations can't help us and our calculations can't help them find
the 10^125th bit.

 > *See the predictions above to see how rich and useful of an idea this is
> as a TOE.  I don't know any TOE which has been more successful at producing
> results, explaining why "quantum" etc., while assuming so little.*

Even Muller says "*This work is not intended to be a “theory of everything*”
.

>> And before you ask me in return the same question I will tell you: if
>> you became CEO of The Mystical Invisible Non-material Turing Machine
>> Corporation and a week later you became the richest most powerful man in
>> the history of the world I would say "yeah you got me, my idea is
>> refuted".
>>

> > That's unreasonable.

Of course it's unreasonable, but you're the one making the unreasonable
claim that mystical invisible non-material calculations are important not
me.

> >> Eternal inflation has observable consequences,
>>

> *> So does the theory that all computations exist.*

Certainly none we didn't already know, and think you can get invisible
Turing Machines to predict anything, provided you already know the answer.

> > *If all computations exist, our universe should be ruled by simple laws*

Even if all correct computations exist in some sort of invisible platonic
heaven all incorrect computations exist there too, and none of them can do
anybody or anything any good until the correct computations are separated
from the incorrect computations, and for that you need matter because
matter can change and make visible calculations.

> *You didn't answer the question.  Can a non-quamtum computer in a branch
> that diverged from ours a few minutes ago DO anything or can't it? *

Yes it can DO something provided there is something in that branch that can
change, and that means matter/energy.

> > *Can you become CEO of the largest computing company in the world by
> harnessing the computers in all the decohered branches of the many worlds?*

Maybe, if I knew how to make a quantum computer because that's sorta how
they work, or at least that's one way to think about what they do and it's
the way I prefer but you could think about it the Copenhagen way if you
like. By the way, I wouldn't have to harness all the branches in the
universe to rule the world, a few million would be enough, maybe a few
thousand depending on how much overhead I have to use up for error
correction.

 John K Clark