> On 28 Dec 2018, at 18:15, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Frank Tipler wrote this 2005 paper, I am curious if others are familiar with
> it, and what your thoughts on it are:
>
> https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/The-structure-of-the-world-from-pure-numbers-Tipler/3adcc70233813349ef6ee9779799780d813556e7
>
> <https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/The-structure-of-the-world-from-pure-numbers-Tipler/3adcc70233813349ef6ee9779799780d813556e7>
>
> I found it to be quite interesting. He claims that the dream of quantum
> gravity eliminating infinities from the standard model cannot succeed, and
> also that the entropy of the initial conditions of the universe was zero.

Nice find. I was not aware of that paper. Tipler is usually rather good. Of
course, he is blinded by the beauty, and seems unaware of the mystery (the
mind-body problem). Numbers have qualitative intensional feature, as we know
since Gödel, and that has to be taken into account in metaphysics. (And should
be intuitively obvious for a mechanist who does not throw away consciousness
and persons). Yet, there is a nice mind-openness to Plato, and that is nice. I
will dig more on the paper later probably. The approach is still rather
physicalist.

Bruno