On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 7:53 AM John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 1:58 PM Philip Thrift <cloudver...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >> Is the Fine Structure Constant a rational number? Is it a algebraic
>>> number? Is it a transcendental number? Nobody knows.
>>

>> *> Is it computable at least?*
>

> Because the Fine Structure Constant has a physical and not a mathematical
> definition my intuition tells me it must be computable; and indeed we've
> already computed a very good approximation of it and there is no reason to
> think we couldn't do even better if we had faster computers that could sum
> up more of those Feynman diagrams.

Rubbish. The fine structure constant is not computable by Feynman diagrams.
What might be confusing you is that QED calculations of physically
measurable  things like the Lamb Shift and g-2 for the electron depend on
the value of the FSC. Comparing the calculations with experiment gives an
accurate value for the FSC. the fine structure constant itself is an
arbitrary constant of nature, and not directly callable.

Bruce