*The semantic view of theories and higher-order languages*
Laurenz Hudetz
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11229-017-1502-0

"every family of set-theoretic structures has an associated language of
higher-order logic and an up to signature isomorphism unique
model-theoretic counterpart"

*Several philosophers of science construe models of scientific theories as
set-theoretic structures. Some of them moreover claim that models should
not be construed as structures in the sense of model theory because the
latter are language-dependent. I argue that if we are ready to construe
models as set-theoretic structures (strict semantic view), we could equally
well construe them as model-theoretic structures of higher-order logic
(liberal semantic view). I show that every family of set-theoretic
structures has an associated language of higher-order logic and an up to
signature isomorphism unique model-theoretic counterpart, which is able to
serve the same purposes. This allows to carry over every syntactic
criterion of equivalence for theories in the sense of the liberal semantic
view to theories in the sense of the strict semantic view. Taken together,
these results suggest that the recent dispute about the semantic view and
its relation to the syntactic view can be resolved.*

- pt