On 3/4/2019 3:32 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 3 Mar 2019, at 20:15, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

On 3/3/2019 3:34 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 1 Mar 2019, at 21:36, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

On 3/1/2019 7:08 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 28 Feb 2019, at 22:47, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

On 2/28/2019 1:17 PM, Philip Thrift wrote:

The best current philosopher of (and writer about) consciousness is *Galen Strawson*.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galen_Strawson
https://sites.google.com/site/galenstrawson/
https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/philosophy/faculty/profile.php?id=gs24429

There is a lot of his material (PDFs, articles, videos, etc.) freely available online.

The main word that is synonymous with /consciousness /is /experience/.

Which is something bacteria and plants and my thermostat have...and ability to detect and react to the environment based on internal states.

What the thermostat lacks, that the bacteria and plants do not lack, is Turing universality. That gives the mind, and even the free-will.

A bacterium doesn't have Turing universiality, only bacteria in the abstract of a potentially infinite set of evolving bacteria interacting with their environment.  But if a consider a potentially infinite set of thermostats interacting with their environment of furnaces and rooms, it will be Turing universal too. Turing universality is cheap.

Yes, it is cheap, like consistency, and plausibly consciousness.

But it is more cheap you might think, because even one bacteria is fully Turing universal. The genome of Escherichia Coli can be “programmed” to run a Turing universal set of quadruplet. Of course, the bacteria’s “tape” is quite limited, and they can exploit their universality only by cooperation in the long run, and so no individual bacteria can be self-conscious or Löbian.

I think that's what I said.  Except I also noted that all this requires an environment within which the bacteria can metabolize.

That is contingent with respect of the bacteria “mental life”. All programs needs a code, and an environment which run it, but it can be arithmetic. Then a physical reality emerges as a means on all accessible computations-continuations.

Mentioning the environment can be misleading. If a material environment is needed, matter would play some role, and there is no more reason to say accept a digital, even if physical, brain.

I didn't say anything about the environment being "material".    But your objection seems to reduce to, "But that's contrary to my theory."  It's no good saying your theory is testable when you only test it within the assumptions you used to derive it.

In a dream, we create more clearly the environment by ourself, and that is enough for being conscious, or even self-conscious, like in a lucid dream, or a sophisticated virtual environment.

The dream is realized by the brain and it is about elements of our real environment.

So to say bacteria have Turing universality is like saying water is lemonade...if you add lemons and sugar.

It means that with the 4 letters, you can program any partial recursive function. Of course you need the decoding apparatus, but that is entirely in the bacteria. It means that you can simulate any other computer, with a basic set of DNA-enzyme molecular interaction. A universal machine is just a number u such that for all x and y phi_u(x, y) = phi_x(y) *in principle. You can implement all control structure. The operon illustrates a “if-then-else”, and the regulation apparatus is enough to get universality. René Thomas, in Brussels, has succeeded to make a loop, with a plasmid (little circular gene) entering in the bacterium, and then going out, repetitively. It is even a “fuzzy computer”. Some product are regulated in a continuum, depending on the concentration of the metabolites. When I was young, I have made e project for a massively parallel computers which was a solution of bacteria (E. coli) and bacteriophage. One drop of it could process billions of instructions in a second. But the read and write was demanding highly sophisticated molecular biology. I think that such ideas have more success today. After all, molecular biology studies “natural nanotechnology”.

You're wrong.  The environment is essential.  The fact that DNA can encode functions means nothing without the ability to read and execute the code.  RNA, proteins, krebs cycle, and proton pumps are all necessary for that.