> On 6 Mar 2019, at 20:57, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
> <everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>

> On 3/6/2019 5:48 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>> Every time I mention this you strike back at the straw man of primitive
>>> matter...which I never refer to.
>> But then, why do you criticise the theorem? Maybe you don’t? Bt then why are
>> you saying that elementary arithmetic is not a TOE? It explain the coupling
>> consciousness/matter using only elementary arithmetic.
>
> My criticism of the theory is different from my criticism of your repeated
> claim that you have eliminated and matter and attributing anything to it is
> "Aristotles error".   My criticism of the theory that arithmetic is a TOE is
> that arithmetic proves too much.

That looks like Deutsch criticism on Schmidhuber type of computationalist
explanation.

But, this omit completely the first person indeterminacy, which not only
explains (in a testable way) the origin of the physical laws, but above all
makes the physics unique, and invariant for all machines.

The postulation of a primary universe, on the contrary, explains only the
current first person prediction by using an identity thesis which is
inconsistent with mechanism. Physics fails both for the prediction of “seeing
an eclipse”, and miss the mind-body problem. Compared to the explanation in
arithmetic, there is just no explanation given for the physical experiment and
experience. It works very well locally, but only by using an inconsistent
metaphysics. In fact, it does not tackle the fundamental question, and gives
recipe to make prediction, without attempting to explains why we can be
conscious of the prediction.

With mechanism we get the whole fundamental science, already axiomatised
completely (thanks to Solovay- at the propositional level. I don’t see it
explains too much. You might confuse Mechanism and digital physics. Digital
physics just assume that there is some u such that phi_u is the physical
universe. That reduce physics to arithmetic, but that explains too much, or
nothing. And is wrong. With mechanism, even if some u plays some more special
role, that choice of u and that role have to be explained, given the
differentiation of conscious on all relative computational computations.

Bruno