> On 5 Mar 2019, at 20:01, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
> <everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>

> On 3/5/2019 4:06 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>> RNA, proteins, krebs cycle, and proton pumps are all necessary for that.
>>
>> That is carbon chauvinism, with all my respect. I am a lover of Krebs cycle,
>> and even more Calvin cycle (in photosynthesis). My initial inspiration of
>> Mechanism came from Molecular biology. But nothing there has been shown to
>> be non-Turing emulable. Your artificial brain, when you say “yes” to the
>> doctor, might not involve any of these cycles, but use a simple battery
>> instead (or you are just telling me that you doubt Digital Mechanism, which
>> is my basic working hypothesis to solve the Mind-Body problem.
>
> That you can emulate those processes is beside the point.  The point is that
> you would have to emulate them in order to support your contention that
> bacteria are Turing complete.

? I do’nt undersatnd. When Turing showed that his Turing machine are able to
emulate lambda calculus, and that lambda calculus can emulate the Turing
machine, nobody ask them to emulate them. Turing also showed that elementary
arithmetic emulates them “already”.

You argument is equivalent to saying that we have to enumerate the primes
number to make sense of Riemann hypothesis. That looks like extreme
physicalism, akin to ultra-finitism.

> That's has been my "doubt" of your theory all along.  It is not a TOE in
> which consciousness appears without matter.  It is a theory in which
> consciousness and matter must appear together.

Yes, but from numbers only (or from combinators only, …), which is the point,
and that makes elementary arithmetic into the only TOE available. If you can
found a discrepancy with nature, you will show that we cannot be machine (if
your proofs is understandable by humans).

> Every time I mention this you strike back at the straw man of primitive
> matter...which I never refer to.

But then, why do you criticise the theorem? Maybe you don’t? Bt then why are
you saying that elementary arithmetic is not a TOE? It explain the coupling
consciousness/matter using only elementary arithmetic. No need of Mechanism,
which can be used only for the motivation for the Theatetus definition, for
those who have not read Plato.

I am just trying to understand your point.

Bruno