On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 4:55 PM Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au>
wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 05, 2019 at 02:22:05PM +1100, Bruce Kellett wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 2:03 PM Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au>
> wrote:
> >
> >     You cannot represent n as a finite string for an arbitrary real
> number
> >     n. But you can for an arbitrary integer n.
> >

> > Sure. But that was not part of your definition of a 'computation'. The
> > algorithm f(x): (r-1)+1 works for all reals r as well as for finite
> strings n.
> >
> > Bruce
>
> I don't think it's 'my definition'. The usual meaning of computable
> integer is that there exists a program that outputs it. For real
> numbers, this is changed to a program exists that outputs a sequence
> of numbers that converges to the real number in question. One could
> also consider "spigot" programs for this purpose too - a program that
> outputs the decimal (or binary say) expansion of the real number. It
> is clear that this more relaxed definition is equivalent to the former
> in the integer case.

It seems that you are relying on the idea of 'computable' as capable of
being calculated in a finite number of steps on a finite Turing machine.
That is fine; it then rules out functions such as (r-1)+1 for reals, since
these are not representable on a finite Turing machine. But it also renders
the concept of a computable number completely trivial, and all you are left
with for the Church-Turing thesis is the concept of computable functions
which are non-trivial in the sense that the function cannot depend ab
initio on the output number.

Bruce