On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 7:10:40 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 8 Mar 2019, at 11:16, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>

> On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 3:18:39 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>

>> On 7 Mar 2019, at 12:26, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 5:11:57 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>>

>>> On 6 Mar 2019, at 14:43, John Clark <johnk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 8:30 AM Bruno Marchal <mar...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
>>>
>>> *> You confirm my theory that strong (non agnostic) atheism is radical
>>>

>>> I've never heard you or anybody else criticize me that brilliantly
>>> before, you sure put me in my place. I am devastated!
>>>

>>> Lol.
>>>
>>> The fact remains. Anyone mocking the science theology, helps the
>>> radicals, who have separated theology from science to mix it with (fake)
>>> politics (and real tyranny). You are under the influence of the post 529
>>> pseudo-christian propaganda. You defend, not intentionally I suppose, those
>>> who want us remaining non educated.
>>> The greek theology (not the greek mythology!) is at the origin of
>>> mathematics, physics, and even mathematical logic more recently.
>>>
>>> Note that the USSR, which have banned both religion and theology, did
>>> the same thing with biology. By mixing it with the state, it becomes
>>> obscurantist and non sensical (which led to a big famine).

>>> I'm sorry did you say something? I think I fell asleep
>>>

>>> Since long …
>>> Since 529, somehow, I guess.
>>>
>>> Bruno
>>>

>>> Epicurus (via Lucretius) had a philosophy based on physical and
>> psychical atoms.
>>

>> Intersting! (And just now you don’t provide links? I would be interested.
>> It would show that early materialist where not eliminativist). Plotinus
>> already complained on “eliminative materialism”, in its own term. I find
>> this both inexact and inhuman.
>>
>> But that leads to a non necessary dualism, which is also incompatible
>> with Descartes Mechanism and Turing’s one.
>>

>> Perhaps the writings of Epicurus and Democritus and their students should
>> have been preserved and the writings of Plato and Aristotle should have
>> been destroyed.
>>
>> :)
>>

>> Lol
>>
>> Bruno
>>

> Epicurus:
>
> Psychical [soul] atoms combine with physical [body] atoms to make
> conscious beings.
>
> https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/epicurus/#PsycEthi
>
> *Having established the physical basis of the world, *
>

> How?
>

> *Epicurus proceeds to explain the nature of the soul (this, at least, is
> the order in which Lucretius sets things out). This too, of course,
> consists of atoms: first, there is nothing that is not made up of atoms*
>

> Assuming physicalism and atomism.
>

> * and void (secondary qualities are simply accidents of the arrangement of
> atoms),*

> [...]

Maybe matter is good. It's numbers that are evil. :)

*The second beast was given power to give breath to the image of the first
beast, so that the image could speak and cause all who refused to worship
the image to be killed. It also forced all people, great and small, rich
and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hands or on
their foreheads, so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the
mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of its name. This calls
for wisdom. Let the person who has insight calculate the number of the
beast, for it is the number of a man. That number is 666.* (Revelation 13)

- pt