On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 2:35 AM 'Cosmin Visan' via Everything List <
everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Thanks for reminding me. I didn't see them.
>
> On Wednesday, 24 April 2019 18:15:41 UTC+3, Terren Suydam wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 3:03 AM 'Cosmin Visan' via Everything List <
>> everyth...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>>
>>> For this you don't even need idealism. You can just take the brain as a
>>> black box ready to receive the proper input in order to generate the proper
>>> qualia. You will most likely not detect infrared light and others, simply
>>> because the black box is not made to detect them.
>>>

>> You don't get to say, in one context, that the brain doesn't exist, and
>> then in another, it's a black box that generates qualia. Not to mention, a
>> black box also has zero explanatory power. I'm asking you directly about
>> cochlear implants, which literally enable the generation of new qualia for
>> deaf people. How does that happen?
>>

> As usual, I'm very careful with the way in which I'm using words. The
> definition that I'm using for "existence" is the act of self-reference of
> looking-back-at-itself. Based on this definition, existence is only
> ontologically subjective, therefore no objects-independent-of-consciousness
> exist. So the "brain" regarded as an object-independent-of-consciousness
> doesn't exist. But a system of interacting consciousness can exist.
> Therefore we can call that system a "black box" and allow the black box to
> exist. In the black box, depending on how consciousnesses interact you can
> have certain qualia and not have others. Cochlear implants enable the
> generation of new qualia for deaf people in the same way that a bike enable
> the generation of new qualia for people that never rode a bike before.

You really can't see the difference between the way a cochlear implant
creates new qualia, versus riding a bike?  If you want to be taken
seriously you'll have to do better than that.

>> I'm color blind. My eyes don't have as many photo-receptors that detect
>> frequencies corresponding to the color red. Because of that, my experience
>> of color is different from ordinary people, and this can be proven.
>> Photo-receptors detect electromagnetic oscillation of specific frequencies,
>> and this leads somehow to the experience of color. If photoreceptors don't
>> exist, how do you explain this?
>>
>> You have a system of interacting consciousnesses from which certain
> interactions are missing.

That doesn't explain anything.

>> I'm really looking for explanations I can sink my teeth into. Why am I
>> colorblind, but you're not?  And why does it seem to matter that
>> physiologically, you have photoreceptors that I do not have?  There are
>> objective facts about our nervous systems that have consequences for
>> subjective experience. We could go through a million examples, including
>> brain damage, drugs, brain tumors, Alzheimers, genetic defects. Should we
>> just throw all those explanatory mechanisms away?
>>

> You can still do "science" even in dreams. Even in dreams you can see
> unicorns flying and conclude that if you jump on their backs, you will be
> able to fly. It turns out that even though the objects that appear in our
> consciousness exist only as qualia, they nevertheless obey certain rules.
> And we can use those rules to do technology. Some people call it "science",
> but my definition for "science" is the study of existence, and since
> existence is only ontologically subjective, science is only the study of
> consciousness.

If you're equating science done in dreams and science done in reality,
you're a solipsist.

Terren