On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 5:44 PM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <
everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> On 5/7/2019 2:52 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>

> On Tuesday, May 7, 2019, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <
> everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>

>> On 5/7/2019 2:08 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>>

>> On Tuesday, May 7, 2019, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <
>> everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On 5/7/2019 1:49 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

>>> You seem to be avoiding the implication that the system starts in a
>>> state where all possible answers, both wrong and correct exist.
>>>

>>> You seem to think that because something might exist in the future it
>>> exists.
>>>

>>> Brent
>>>

>> At what point in time does "the probability of measuring the wrong
>> answers" decrease?
>>
>> 1. Before the computation
>> 2. During/after the computation
>> 3. At the time of measurement
>> 4. Something else
>> 5. Indeterminate
>>
>> My guess is #2, what do you think?
>>
>> During/after is pretty broad.  You're assuming that when the answer is
>> measured can be varied independently of the computation.  Even classical
>> computations don't have an answer ready to be output at any time.  Some do,
>> but interate so that the answer becomes more accurate with run time.  So I
>> think it depends on the structure of the algorithm.
>>

>> Brent
>>

> Is there an algorithm where the answer would be something other than
> during or after?
>

> Since the question was ''At what *point* in time does "the probability of
> measuring the wrong answers" decrease?''  I don't thing "during/after" is
> even an answer.
>
> As I said, I think no answer exists until there's a measurement, the
> computer will be in a superposition of states relative to the measurement
> basis.  So "at the time of measurement" would be the closest answer.  But I
> know some algorithms, like Grover's, become more accurate as they run
> longer.

Isn't there an easy experiment to test your theory?  Run the following
experiment: Execute the same quantum computation simultaneously on 5
different quantum computers. Then:

1. On computer #1, perform the measurement 1 year after the computation
completes
2. On computer #2, perform the measurement 2 hours after the computation
completes
3. On computer #3, perform the measurement 1 hour after the computation
completes
4. On computer #4, perform the measurement as soon as the computation
completes
5. On computer #5, perform the measurement before the computation completes

Given that QM would give us the same probability of obtaining the correct
answer from computers 1 through 4, and a different (lower) probability of
obtaining the correct answer from computer #5, and given that the
measurements take place at different times (with the earliest taking place
as soon as the computation completes), doesn't this suggest to you that the
probabilities are determined prior to the time of the measurement?

Jason

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CA%2BBCJUgHfyVV%2BCNUd1mhZUomy9aunbBRDvDJPko5pJjvbzR9ow%40mail.gmail.com.