On Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 9:40:12 PM UTC-5, Jason wrote:

> Incompleteness disproves nominalism.  Arithmetical truth was proven not
> only to be not human defined, but to be not human definable.

(This is something I posted a few days ago in another forum.)

>From Joel David Hamkins @JDHamkins - http://jdh.hamkins.org/

"Truths" in the set-theoretic multiverse (slides from a talk last week):

http://jdh.hamkins.org/wp-content/uploads/Is-there-more-than-one-mathematical-universe.pdf

The final slides:

----

*The Continuum Hypothesis is settled*

On the multiverse perspective, the CH question is settled.
It is incorrect to describe it as an open question.

The answer consists of our detailed understanding of how the
CH both holds and fails throughout the multiverse, of how these
models are connected and how one may reach them from each
other while preserving or omitting certain features.

Fascinating open questions about CH remain, of course, but the
most important essential facts are known.

Ultimately, the question becomes: do we have just one
mathematical world or many

----

Mathematics is a language - with multiple dialects.

        * Each dialect of mathematics has its own syntax *(to some extent)*
and semantics!*

There is no settled "truth" in mathematics.

For example (as Hamkins shows) the CH is true in one dialect (of set
theory) and false in another.

@philipthrift