> On 31 May 2019, at 18:12, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 4:44 AM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be
> <mailto:marc...@ulb.ac.be>> wrote:
>
> >  if you read the “Element of Theology” by Proclus...
>
> ... then the time you spend doing that would be time you're not reading a
> book written by an author who, unlike Proclus, *did* know where the sun went
> at night.

Penrose said gross stupidity on Gödel’s theorem, but that does not make its
spin networks and all its contribution if physics less interesting.

Yes, in physics, both Aristotle and Plotinus, and Proclus, have regressed, with
respect to Erathostene, for example, but here we discuss theology, where you
seem to have regressed to literal christianism.

> > even Christians have argued that God cannot be omniscient and omnipotent
> > when they discovered that those notion were inconsistent.
>
> From the Catholic Encyclopedia, volume 7 page 792:
>
> "The son of God is omniscient and omnipotent knowing history in advance and
> being able to control its course”.

The Pope Jean-Paul 2 made explicit that all statement of that kind are parabola
and should never been taken literally. Of course, that is debated by some
catholic, bu I have still never met a christian who believe in the anything as
naive. You might read the book by Jean Trouillard or Paul Valadier. You might
change your mind on this, but perhaps you don’t want to change your mind.

Bruno