On 7/20/2019 3:22 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 19 Jul 2019, at 22:48, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>> wrote:

On 7/19/2019 12:33 AM, Philip Thrift wrote:
"I’m happy to be described as a monist. There aren’t multiple different kinds of things; *there is only the wave function of the universe*. As an emergent approximation it’s useful to characterize the wave function as describing /multiple worlds/."

So for Sean Carroll, reality is a mathematical entity: a wave function.
At least Thales believed in stuff (matter).

"Stuff" is sufficiently vague that the wave-function could qualify as "stuff".  The contentious question seems to be where conscious thoughts fall in the ontology.  Are they processes realized by stuff (Vic), or do they exist in a separate Platonic real(Bruno),

Elementary arithmetic is that realm, and I ask you: how it could be separated, and mostly:  from what?

From others metaphysical ontologies: materialism, idealism, theism,...

From your irreducible material universe in which you seem to believe?

Where did I say "irreducible"?  I'm not in the belief business.  I'm in the finding out business.

Why invoke such a thing.

I didn't invoke anything.  I just attempted to clarify the different theories at play.

It is not used in physics. It is used in physicalism, which until now just put the mind-body problem under the rug. With mechanism, we have a “simple” explanation of consciousness, and a “simple” explanation of where the observable comes from, and we can test it.

Your use of metaphysics is like the pseudo-religious one. You claim that your god (Matter) is enough to not do the experimental testing.

And you sound like a theist seeking out heretics.