Bravo PGC. Very Well Said.

Delusions of reality as based in a purely mathematical scheme will never
amount to a "theory of everything..."

Just another quaint, historically bounded, and deeply ontologically
committed idea with absolutely no practical relevance, much like Thales'
commitment that "all is water" or Anaximander's idea of the "apeiron" as a
metaphysical absolute. Sounds great on paper... try to do something with
it... well, that's a Turing TarPit right there.

And just a further comment to Bruno's constant use of "Aristotelian
assumption" of "primary matter." Can I have primary source citation,
please? From what I recall of my Aristotle, a fair bit of it, I can't even
once remember him talking about "matter" in the ordinary, "post-Cartesian"
sense of the term. And you know why? Because he didn't have that
distinction in his lexicon!!! In his metaphysics, he talks of
"particulars," not "matter" per se, unless you think this is based on his
idea of one of the four forms of causation. And he argued that all four
need to be present before a thing comes to be (efficient, formal,
teleological, final). Nowhere does he mention the very modern (i.e.
post-Descartes) idea of "matter" in this metaphysic.

Please defend your claims philologically, and not by way of obscure
mathematical formula supposedly designed to lead us to some sort of
ultimate Platonic conclusion. And also not by way of convenient
redefinitions of common words (God, matter, machine) that leave most people
in a dust of confusion. (but maybe that's your intent?)

I can already feel you writing... "but the hypothesis of mechanism dictates
that ... x must be y.... " ... "numbers must have dreams, and they must be
us... " the hypostases of the ultimate one talked about by plotinus (which
numbered 8) must be the only way if we assume mechanism... "

ENOUGH!

Your rhetoric and constant pompous references to your previous posts have
chased many great minds away from this list. (Craig Weinberg comes to
mind.) And I mostly come here to see John Clark constantly body slam you
with respect to the question of hardware implementation of computations...
which you never answer... like a true cultist... "Go back to step 3" --
fuck step three. There are no matter duplicating machines. There is no
"absolute first person perspective"... referred to by a pronoun "I". And
even if there were a matter duplicating machine, it would have to be made
of "matter" (pace John Clark) and so couldn't simply just happen by virtue
of the mathematical formalism. (Remember Pythagoras? See where he ended up?
Not because what he said was true... because it was ANNOYINGLY FALSE)
Therefore, your mind experiment is done as far as practical consequences.
So what? Who cares? What are we even doing here?

God bless John Clark for fighting this nonsense.

Remember what this list was meant to do -- CULTIVATE THEORIES OF
EVERYTHING... NOT "Cultivate what conforms to Bruno's idea of a Theory of
Everything Is."

And, please, no disrepect to any of the other participants on this thread.
I have followed you all for so long (10+) years that you are all family
(including Bruno, you silly bastard)

I love the salutary conclusions that seem to emerge from your speculations,
Bruno, I really do... but so much effort has been dedicated to trying to
make you see that you have blindspots (Brent Meeker, John Clark, Craig
Weinberg) and you never modify your theory to cover them, you only insist
that they don't understand your genius plan.

Let me ask you: if you are the only car traveling in a certain direction
(let's call it North) and you encounter multiple cars traveling at other
directions (namely, South), are the other guys driving in the wrong
direction? Or are you?

And before anyone charges me of just dropping in uninvited, my claimed 10+
years experience a lie, I have posted here before, in different guises.
I'll leave it up to the readers (if they're interested) in figuring out who
I am.

Doesn't matter now, though, my anonymity is blown.

Please be kind (or not, this is the internet, after all...)

Anyway, I found it irresistible to drop in and let you all know I love you
all and this forum, and Bruno too for being so god damned STUBBORN!! But
it's looking like you might need to re evaluate some stuff?

Go ahead, cut me up in the comments...