On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 10:08:00 AM UTC-6, Jason wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 7:45 AM Alan Grayson <agrays...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>

>> and COOLER after 380,000 years had elapsed. All of the foregoing makes a

>> *Oh, because the temperature is decreasing from just after the BB to
>> 380,000 years, we need a very small universe to inflate to explain the
>> current homogeneity. Otherwise the present large scale homogeneity is only
>> explicable by appealing to highly improbable chance in a causally
>> disconnected universe, our present universe. AG *
>>

> Inflation requires a *minimum* starting size (which can be microscopic),
> and *minimum* duration of inflation (which can be as little as ~100
> doublings) taking as little as 10^-35 seconds, but as far as I know these
> are only the minimums to be congruent with observations.  Inflation, by no
> means requires the preinflation universe to be tiny, nor the time period of
> inflation to be short.  Either the preinflation size could be unboundedly
> large, or the inflation duration could be unboundedly long.
>
> Jason
>
> If inflation is to solve large scale homogeneity in a causally
non-connected universe, which is the case of our present observable
universe, it must start with a very small universe that IS causally
connected. I think this is pretty obvious, unless you want to insist that
the large scale homogeneity is purely accidental -- which I do not. AG

Incidentally, I didn't claim that inflation per se is totally speculative.
It solves a number of problems so it is more than pure speculation. I was
then referring to speculation that some parts of the total universe, either
within our observable or unobservable regions, or in the presumed
substratum from which bubbles arise, or in other bubbles, are experiencing
any types of inflations. The only inflation that I am discussing is within
our bubble, and perhaps extended to our unobservable regions by applying
the Cosmological Principle. AG