On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 1:03:06 PM UTC-6, Jason wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 12:05 PM Alan Grayson <agrays...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>

>> On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 9:58:53 AM UTC-6, Jason wrote:

>>> Okay.

>>> Alright.  Then you also need to clarify which perspective you are
>>> using.  Since the bubble may be finite from the outside, but can appear
>>> infinite from the inside.
>>>

>> Since there's no way to observe the bubble from the outside, I don't see
>> this as productive way to analyse the situation. AG

>>> Smaller is not implied by the big bang model, only things being
>>> "previously closer".
>>>

>> True, but if *inflation* is to solve the large scale homogeneity
>> property of our present universe, which it does, inflation had to occur
>> when the universe was exceedingly small. See my previous post on this
>> issue. AG
>>

> I would make this correction:
> > True, but if inflation is to solve the large scale homogeneity property
> of our present universe, which it does, inflation had to occur when the
> *OBSERVABLE* universe was exceedingly small. See my previous post on this
> issue. AG

OK, but I would include the *UNOBSERVABLE* part of our bubble, because as
far as we know it became unobservable because of the expansion. AG

> [...]
>>> back then would have been 1,000 x 1,000 x 1,000 or a billion times what it
>>> is now.  So instead of 5 hydrogen atoms per cubic meter, you get 5 billion
>>> hydrogen atoms per cubic meter.  This is many many orders of magnitude less
>>> dense than atmospheric pressure.  A cubic meter of air at sea level weighs
>>> 1.3 kilograms ( https://hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/RachelChu.shtml ).
>>> Compare this weight to the weight of 5 billion hydrogen atoms.  A Hydogen
>>> atom weighs 1.67 × 10^-24 g, 5 billion of them would get you to 8.37 ×
>>> 10^-18 kilograms.
>>>
>>> So I was wrong, it wasn't a billion times less dense, it was closer to a
>>> billion billion times less dense than the atmosphere.

>>> The shape (closed, flat, open), depends on how much gravitating stuff is
>>> in the universe compared to how much anti-gravitating stuff is in the
>>> universe, and the current expansion rate and density.  A closed universe
>>> implies gravitational attraction wins out in the end and things eventually
>>> collapse.  In a universe where there is more gravitating stuff then anti
>>> gravitating stuff, the speed of expansion ought to be slowing down.  If it
>>> is slowing down in a way that only after infinite time the expansion rate =
>>> 0 (loosely analogous to throwing something upwards at exactly the escape
>>> velocity) then the geometry is flat.  But the only way for the universe
>>> expansion to be accelerating now is if the anti-gravity stuff exceeds the
>>> gravitating stuff.  In this case, (should the condition persist), then the
>>> universe will not recollapse (can't be closed), nor will it come to a rest
>>> after infinite time (can't be flat), so the alternative is that it must be
>>> open.
>>>

>> That's what the books say. But suppose the universe was a spherical
>> expanding hyperspace at some point in its history, closed, and then the
>> expansion rate started to increase. Would that closed universe somehow
>> "tear" and become open? AG
>>

> I'm not sure, it is a good question if the shape can evolve over time.
> Perhaps someone on this list more familiar with GR can answer.

>>> Mathematically you can of course imagine an ever expanding hypersphere,
>>> but the reason it is not possible physically is comes down to general
>>> relativity, which informs of us of a relationship between the spatial
>>> curvature and the ultimate fate of the universe.  So if anti-gravity stuff
>>> wins out such that the universe expands forever in an accelerating or
>>> constant rate, then GR requires that the spatial curvature be negative.  It
>>> would not allow for a positive curvature.
>>>

>> I find this rather dubious. Can you show me how GR requires this? AG
>>

> It is made clear in the Friedmann equations, which are derived from the
> field equations of GR:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedmann_equations
> Where they contain a parameter k which is either -1, 0, or 1,
> corresponding to the curvature of space.  The value of k determines how the

The problem may lie in the fact that the Friedmann equations are
idealizations and not physically realizable.  As I see it, one can get
transitions between flat and open universes in both directions, but a
closed universe cannot became flat or open; nor can the reverse occur. AG