> On 19 Sep 2019, at 15:37, Alan Grayson <agrayson2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 5:02:11 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>
>> On 16 Sep 2019, at 17:18, Alan Grayson <agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
>> wrote:
>>

>> On Monday, September 16, 2019 at 9:00:46 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>
>>> On 14 Sep 2019, at 05:22, Alan Grayson <agrays...@gmail.com <>> wrote:
>>>

>>> On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 4:08:23 PM UTC-6, John Clark wrote:

>>> Of course it's been proven! It's simple math, there are only a finite
>>> number of ways the atoms in your body, or even the entire OBSERVABLE
>>> universe, can be arranged so obviously if the entire universe is infinite
>>> then there is going to have to be copies, an infinite number of them in
>>> fact. Max Tegmark has even calculated how far you'd have to go to see such
>>> a thing.
>>>
>>> What I think you're missing (and Tegmark) is the possibility of UNcountable
>>> universes. In such case, one could imagine new universes coming into
>>> existence forever and ever, without any repeats.  Think of the number of
>>> points between 0 and 1 on the real line, each point associated with a
>>> different universe. AG
>>

>> Tegmark missed this?
>>
>> Deutsch did not, and in his book “fabric of reality”, he gave rather good
>> argument in favour of Everett-type of multiverse having non countable
>> universe. That makes sense with mechanism which give raise to a continuum
>> (2^aleph_0) of histories, but the “equivalence class” brought by the measure
>> can have lower cardinality, or bigger. Open problem, to say the least.
>>
>> What you're not addressing is that with uncountable universes -- which I
>> haven't categorically denied could arise -- it's not obvious that any
>> repeats necessarily occur. I don't believe any repeats occur. AG
>

> I assume the mechanist hypothesis, which shows that the repeat exist,
> indeendly of the cardinality of the number of histories. At some point the
> difference are not more relevant, due to the Digital mechanist truncate,
> which makes the repeats even more numerous in the non countable case.
>
> I don't believe in repeats

That can be shown to be non accessible from the first person view.

> and I haven't seen any proofs that they occur,

That follows easily from the fact that the elementary arithmetical reality
emulates all computations, and this infinity many often.

You need to study Gödel 1931, or some books, to get this right. The
arithmetical reality is Turing universal, and no universal machine can
distinguish the arithmetical reality from any other type of reality, from its
first person perspective, but that still can test the plausibility of
mechanism, by comparing the physics in the head of the (immaterial,
arithmetical) machine and what we see. Thanks to QM-without collapse, (and non
cloning, non locality, indeterminacy + quantum logic) we can say that up to now
Nature confirms Mechanism, and quasi refute Materialism or at lest materialism
+ consciousness exists.

Bruno