> >> If realism is true then things, like the spin of an electron or the
> >> polarization of a photon, exist even when they are not being observed and
> >> they always exist in one and only one definite state.
>
> > I still 'really' have no idea what you mean by' realism'.
>
> Which word didn't you understand?
>
> > I suggest you read Maudlin's paper:
>
> I suggest you read Carroll's book. And by the way, Maudlin believes that
> time's arrow and all the laws of physics are primitive, that is to say they
> can not be reduced to something else, certainly not to arithmetic.

Can you give the reference? I mean I would like to see the contexte, but I am
not astonished, and don’t doubt he could say this.

It is not astonishing at all.  In his Olympia paper(*), he got the same
conclusion than me, i.e. that we cannot have Mechanism and Materialism
together. Each one implies the negation of the other.

He got this by an argument which is more similar to the movie graph argument
(MGA) than to the UDA (which requires the understanding of the mathematical
definition of a computer in step 7).

But in its conclusion he seems to keep Materialism. He has not seen the many
computations “formulation” or “internal interpretation” of elementary
arithmetic (or combinator algebra).

Bruno

(*) Maudlin, T. (1989). Computation and Consciousness. The Journal of
Philosophy, pages 407-432.