The sophistication of how to use knowledge is arguable to no end. But for
reasons of fascination you may thread two wires between knowledge and
consciousness. The more conscious an entity is, the more it can observe and
reflect upon its environment and use knowledge to pursue its fundamental goal
(stay conscious).

Given every bit of the universe from the Big Bang to where we are now, you can
weave these two threads between various forms of self-organizing matter with
varying levels of knowledge or sophistication building layers upon layers. All
in order to ensure a state of continuity is achieved by ever lasting
consciousness being pushed out into higher life forms reaching greater and
greater knowledge, and consciousness, or you may call it novelty.

It’s not so much life wants to exist, it’s that consciousness wants to exist
and keeps evolving into higher forms of complexity and in order to exist must
create various supporting systems that we understand as the observable universe.