On Friday, November 22, 2019 at 11:59:41 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:

> On 11/22/2019 9:35 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
>
> On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 7:02 AM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <
> everyth...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> On 11/22/2019 6:14 AM, John Clark wrote:
>>
>> Why does the act of measurement seem to override the evolution of
>> Schrödinger's wave function, and what exactly does a "measurement" even
>> mean? Many Worlds is the only interpretation that can give a credible
>> answer to that question
>>

>> The epistemological interpretation also gives a credible answer.
>>

> Have you ever seen the paper by Pusey, Barrett, and Rudolph
> (arXiv:1111.3328)?  They prove a theorem that places limitations on the
> viability of a purely epistemic interpretation of the wave function: "Here
> we show that any model in which a quantum state represents mere information
> about an underlying physical state of the system, and in which systems
> prepared independently have independent physical states, must make
> predictions which contradict those of quantum theory."
>

> Which continues:
>
>  "The argument depends on few assumptions. One is that a
> system has a “real physical state” – not necessarily com-
> pletely described by quantum theory, but objective and
> independent of the observer. This assumption only needs
> to hold for systems that are isolated, and not entangled
> with other systems. Nonetheless, this assumption, or
> some part of it, would be denied by instrumentalist ap-
> proaches to quantum theory, wherein the quantum state
> is merely a calculational tool for making predictions con-
> cerning macroscopic measurement outcomes."
>
> There is also this paper, which discusses some loopholes the the
> assumptions of the PBR theorem:
>
> Implications of the Pusey-Barrett-Rudolph quantum no-go theorem
> Maximilian Schlosshauer, Arthur Fine
> (Submitted on 21 Mar 2012 (v1), last revised 27 Jun 2012 (this version,
> v3))
> Pusey, Barrett, and Rudolph introduce a new no-go theorem for
> hidden-variables models of quantum theory. We make precise the class of
> models targeted and construct equivalent models that evade the theorem. The
> theorem requires assumptions for models of composite systems, which we
> examine, determining "compactness" as the weakest assumption needed. On
> that basis, we demonstrate results of the Bell-Kochen-Specker theorem.
> Given compactness and the relevant class of models, the theorem can be seen
> as showing that some measurements on composite systems must have built-in
> inefficiencies, complicating its testing.
> Comments:    4 pages. v2: tweaked presentation, new title; v3: minuscule
> edits to match published version
> Subjects:    Quantum Physics (quant-ph)
> Journal reference:    Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 260404 (2012)
> DOI:    10.1103/PhysRevLett.108.260404
> Cite as:    arXiv:1203.4779 [quant-ph]
>      (or arXiv:1203.4779v3 [quant-ph] for this version)
>

> Brent

*Epistemic interpretations of quantum theory have a measurement problem*

Quantum Physics and Logic 2019 - https://qpl2019.org/

https://qpl2019.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/QPL_2019_paper_2.pdf

*We have demonstrated that state update under measurement poses a serious
challenge to ψ-epistemic interpretations of quantum theory in the
ontological models framework: all currently known ψ-epistemic models for
full quantum theory in d ≥ 3 cannot faithfully represent*
*state update. This runs in direct contrast to the prevailing view that
ψ-epistemic models provide a compelling explanation of state update.*

@philipthrift.