On Thursday, November 28, 2019 at 11:56:57 PM UTC-6, smitra wrote:

> On 29-11-2019 01:00, Bruce Kellett wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 1:45 AM Lawrence Crowell
> > <goldenfield...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:

> >> Really there are no duplicate Carroll's or Crowell's or anyone else.
> >> There are amplitudes for such with a distribution given by a
> >> decoherent set, and phenomenologically any of these in such a branch
> >> "renormalize" the probabilities to one. It is not so much that I
> >> branch and am duplicated, but that I am also existent in other
> >> branches.
> >
> > That is sheer sophistry. If energy, charge, and other conserved
> > quantities, are conserved in each branch, and the number of branches
> > increases exponentially as it does in MWI, then the total amount of
> > these quantities also increases, and  you, and everything else, is
> > duplicated in every branch. If you treat branch weights as
> > probabilities, and then calculate an expectation value over branches,
> > then that expectation value is constant. But that is just a
> > single-world theory.
> >
> > Bruce
>
> That total amount has no physical meaning. Different branches are
> analogous to different moments in time in a single universe setting in
> the block universe view. All that happens in the MWI is that instead of
> one successor universe you have multiple ones. But it's not that God is
> continuously destroying universes and creating new universes using the
> energy of the old universe. If it were like that then God would not be
> able to implement the MWI, but this is not how it works. All the future
> and past states are equally real and time evolution is just an
> information conserving mapping.
>
> Saibal

A summation of energy or any other quantum number can make sense in a local
frame. In particular if this local frame can be considered, at least to
some reasonable degree of approximation, as a closed system then it is
reasonable to be concerned over this sum. The thing people are concerned
about is the resetting of probability for a particular branch, which is a
ψ-ontological procedure similar to such a resetting of probability in
the ψ-epistemological method of the collapse.

LC