On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 11:14 AM Lawrence Crowell <
goldenfieldquaterni...@gmail.com> wrote:

*>>> The entire notion of quantum states and events as localized in regions
>>> of space is not entirely applicable. What symmetries exist with these
>>> quantum states or field are then not tied to local geometry.*

>> the entire point because that is all that experimenters can see, then the
>> reverse can not be true, local geometry must be tied to quantum states.
>>

> *> I guess this is not quite clear to me. Largely the quantum states that
> form spacetime are quantum gravitation states.*

It seems to me if quantum gravitational states form spacetime, and if
spacetime is smooth and continuous as the Gamma Ray Burst evidence seems to
show, then 2 distinct points that are less than a Planck Length apart must
correspond to 2 distinct quantum gravitational states.  Am I wrong?

>> So if the Gamma Ray Burst results hold up and spacetime really is smooth
>> and continuous then, would it be correct to say there are a infinite (not
>> just astronomically large) number of quantum symmetries and the Planck
>> Length and the Planck Time have no physical significance, they are just
>> numbers in units of time and space that for no particular reason happen
>> to pop out when you mathematically play around with the constants of nature
>> in certain ways?
>>

> *> The number of quantum states are Virasoro, which is in principle
> infinite. However, because the cosmological horizon can only bound a finite
> number of such states, as is the case with a black hole with entropy S =
> A/4ℓ_p^2, the number of physical states is bounded above. As a result the
> Virasoro algebra has high frequency modes that are mathematically possible,
> but not physically accessed.*

Then although mathematically infinite as far as physics is concerned there
are only a finite number of quantum gravitational states, but if quantum
states produces spacetime then why does the Gamma Ray Burst results say
spacetime is smooth and continuous? Can 2 points that are arbitrarily close
to each other have any physical meaning, does physics need Real Numbers or
not?

> *> A Hilbert space H that contains H_a and H_b is not equal to H_a×H_b.
> Any unitary transformation between H_a and H_b defines a boundary if we
> trace over one of these so S_a = tr_bS = -kTr_b[ρlog(ρ)] and similarly for
> S_b. We have removed the off-diagonal terms. We then can define this as a
> boundary, aka holographic screen or horizon, between sets of entangled
> states. This then defines a form of geometry. The transformation between
> H_a and H_b can just as well be time evolution with a boundary that
> separates two temporal regions. The Taub-NUT spacetime has this
> characteristic as does the region between the spacelike region outside the
> inner horizon of a black hole and the mysterious region inside.*

You seem to be saying space may not be fundamental but time is. Would that
be a fair representation of your views?

John K Clark