On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 11:23 AM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

*> mind is not much what it does, as what it feels,*

I don't think much of the Star Trek/Mr.Spock philosophy. I think something
could be conscious and unintelligent but not the other way around. And I
don't think it's feelings that distinguishes humans from the other animals,
it's intelligence.

>> I don't think mind (intelligence + consciousness) is a form of matter
> anymore than fast is a form of racing car,
>
> *> Very good point!*

Thank you.

>>mind is what a form of matter does when it is organized in certain ways.
>
> > *OK; if you want to implement that mind relatively to you.*

Not OK if you want to assign mind to other people. I know for sure that in
my case mind does 2 things, it does intelligence and it does consciousness,
 perhaps the same 2 things are true for other people's mind too but only
one of those attributes can be directly tested by me; so to avoid solipsism
I just have to assume that the one implies the other. Actually I can do a
bit more than that, although falling short
of a proof of Euclidean quality there is good evidence that one implies the
other and solipsism is probably untrue:

I am conscious and Evolution produced me.
Evolution can NOT directly detect consciousness in others any better than I
can.
SO consciousness can NOT confer a Evolutionary advantage.
So consciousness can NOT be selected for.
I am more intelagent than a rock.
Evolution CAN directly detect intelligence.
So intelligence CAN confer a Evolutionary advantage.
So intelligence  CAN be selected for.
Therefore consciousness is a byproduct of intelligence.

*> If not, you need to explain more on what is matter, and how it makes
> some computations more real than some others. *

A good operational definition of "real" is something that produces results,
so you need to explain why some programs, like those inside a computer
connected to a power supply, produce results, but other programs, like
those printed out in ASCII characters in the pages of a dusty old book, do
not.

John K Clark