On 12/31/2019 4:37 PM, Philip Thrift wrote:

On Tuesday, December 31, 2019 at 5:25:38 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:

    On 12/31/2019 12:06 PM, Philip Thrift wrote:

    from ‘The Self’ – Galen Strawson, Journal of Consciousness
    Studies (1997) <https://www.academia.edu/18112359/_The_Self_>
    /In the 1990s many analytic philosophers were inclined to deny
    that the expression ‘the self’ referred to anything at all.
    Others said that its meaning was too unclear for it to be used in
    worthwhile philosophical discussion. A third group thought that
    the only legitimate use of ‘I’ and ‘the self’ was its use to
    refer to the human being considered as a whole. This paper
    rejects these views. It makes a proposal about how to endow ‘the
    self’ with sufficiently clear meaning without taking it to refer
    to the whole human being. One needs to begin with phenomenology,
    with self-experience, with the experience of there being such a
    thing as the self. One can then approach the questions about
    metaphysics of the self—questions about the existence and nature
    of the self—in the light of the discussion of the phenomenology
    of the self./

    …

    Genuine, realistic materialism requires acknowledgement that the
    phenomena of conscious experience are, considered specifically as
    such, wholly physical, as physical as the phenomena of extension
    and electricity as studied by physics. This in turn requires the
    acknowledgement that current physics, considered as a general
    account of the nature of the physical, is like Hamlet without the
    prince, or at least like Othello without Desdemona. No one who
    doubts this is a serious materialist, as far as I can see. Anyone
    who has had a standard modern (Western) education is likely to
    experience a feeling of deep bewilderment—category-blasting
    amazement—when entering into serious materialism, and considering
    the question ‘What is the nature of the physical?’ in the context
    of the thought that the mental (and in particular the
    experiential) is physical; followed, perhaps, by a deep,
    pragmatic agnosticism.

    Even if we grant that there is a phenomenon that is reasonably
    picked out by the phrase ‘mental self’, why should we accept that
    the right thing to say about some two-second-long mental-self
    phenomenon is (a) that it is a thing or object like a rock or a
    tiger? Why can’t we insist that the right thing to say is simply
    (b) that an enduring (‘physical’) object—Louis—has a certain
    property, or (c) that a two-second mental-self phenomenon is just
    a matter of a certain process occurring in an object—so that it
    is not itself a distinct object existing for two seconds?

    I think that a proper understanding of materialism strips (b) and
    (c) of any appearance of superiority to (a). As for (c): any
    claim to the effect that a mental self is best thought
    of as a process rather than an object can be countered by saying
    that there is no sense in which a mental self is a process in
    which a rock is not also and equally a process. So if a rock is a
    paradigm case of a thing in spite of being a process, we have no
    good reason not to say the same of a mental self.

    This is specious and disingenuous.  It's another version of the
    rock that computes everything and Strawson must know better.

    But if there is a process, there must be something—an object or
    substance—in which it goes on. If something happens, there must
    be something to which it happens, something which is not just the
    happening itself. This expresses our ordinary understanding of
    things, but physicists are increasingly content with the view
    that physical reality is itself a kind of pure process—even if it
    remains hard to know exactly what this idea amounts to. The view
    that there is some ultimate stuff to which things happen has
    increasingly ceded to the idea that the existence of anything
    worthy of the name ‘ultimate stuff’ consists in the existence of
    fields of energy — consists, in other words, in the existence of
    a kind of pure process which is not usefully thought of as
    something which is happening to a thing distinct from it.

    As for (b): the object/property distinction is, as Russell says
    of the standard distinction between mental and physical,
    ‘superficial and unreal’ (1927: 402).

    And Russell proposed neutral monism in which the world consists of
    events which can be ordered into either the mental life of persons
    (and animals) or ordered into physical evolutions, i.e. world
    lines.  Matter would a subset of the physical orderings.  It
    wouldn't be the fundamental ontology and so the "neutral" in
    "neutral monism" meant it was neither mentalism nor materialism.

    Brent

    Chronic philosophical difficulties with the question of how to
    express the relation between substance and property provide
    strong negative support for this view. However ineluctable it is
    for us, it seems that the distinction must be as superficial as
    we must take the distinction between the wavelike nature and
    particlelike nature of fundamental particles to be.

    Obviously more needs to be said, but Kant seems to have got it
    exactly right in a single clause: ‘in their relation to
    substance, [accidents] are not in fact subordinated to it, but
    are the manner of existence of the substance itself’.

    @philipthrift
--

I talk about the dialectics of /language/ and matter - but still matter is everything there is, or in the terms it's expressed in Wikipedia in [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Materialism ] ...

but *neutral monism* [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_monism ] (however it's presented) has always seemed like complete hogwash to me.

A strongly worded opinion...but not a reason.