> On 2 Jan 2020, at 12:39, Philip Thrift <cloudver...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Wednesday, January 1, 2020 at 7:14:15 PM UTC-6, Brent wrote:
>

> On 1/1/2020 2:50 AM, Philip Thrift wrote:
>>

>> Where to people get the idea that there are any non-material things? It's
>> baffled me to see that people believe in that all my life (or since high
>> school days anyway). It's just plain weird.
>
> Perhaps it's because there are predicates and relations of material things.
>
> Brent
>

> To me - and I think this is consistent with other neopramatists  [ Richard
> Rorty, etc. "drawing inspiration from John Dewey, Martin Heidegger, Wilfrid
> Sellars, W. V. O. Quine, Jacques Derrida" -
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neopragmatism
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neopragmatism> ], predicates and relations are
> (just) linguistic entities that appear in sentences.

This is an example of the confusion between the fact that 2+2=4 and the
sentence “2+2=4”. The difference here is as big as the difference between
Hubble and a far away galaxy, or between a brain and a thought.

> They are - as written sequences of letters (like you are looking at right now
> on a laptop or smartphone, which are probably just electronic dots on a
> screen of pixels, so 100% material) when combined - become operators to be
> used in the language 'game’.

Ostensive pointing is dream able, and as such cannot be used as a logical
argument in favour of any ontology. That is also why the mystic machine remains
mute on this. We just cannot take a primary physical reality for granted if we
do metaphysics with the scientific attitude. We have to start from the simpler
theory, and add axioms only if needed, as a last resort.

Bruno