On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 11:04:06 PM UTC-7, Bruce wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 15, 2020 at 3:17 PM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <
> everyth...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> On 2/14/2020 2:17 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
>>
>> I attach an extract from Kent's paper. Take up your argument with him if
>> you think he has got the statistics wrong.
>>

>> I don't find it very convincing
>>

> Whether you are convinced or not does not really affect the logic of
> Kent's argument. I think, as I have thought for some time, that your
> intuitions are too conditioned by the probabilities of  coin tosses in a
> single world. You slip single word intuitions into your criticisms of the
> many-worlds picture.
>
> He asserts “After N trials, the multiverse contains 2 N branches,
>> corresponding to all 2 N possible binary string
>> outcomes."  which is not true if pushing the red button produces 0 or 1
>> with some fixed probability p0 (which isn't made clear).
>>

> It is true, whatever the probability associated with pushing the red
> button. And, in the case I consider, there simply is no matter-of-fact
> about such probabilities. When the button is pushed, two new worlds are
> created, one with a 0 written on its tape and the other with a 1. The
> button is pushed afresh in each of the created worlds, so in each world,
> two new worlds are created. This give 2^N branches or worlds for N trials.
> And these worlds will contain tapes, one in each world, on which is written
> the binary string corresponding to the history of results for that world.
> So there are 2^N different binary strings; that exhausts the space of
> possible binary strings of length N. Unless you get hold of this fact, the
> rest probably will not make sense.
>
> Translate the red button into a Stern-Gerlach magnet measuring the x-spin
> of an ensemble of particles all prepared in a z-spin up eigenstate. If we
> record x-spin up as 0, and x-spin down as 1, we get exactly the same set of
> 2^N binary sequences after N trials, all sequences different, as we got
> from pushing the red button. The crunch comes when we rotate the S-G magnet
> by 10 degrees and repeat. We still get all possible 2^N binary strings --
> the same set of strings as we found before, because this set of exhausts
> the space of N binary strings. If  If you are still not convinced, rotate
> your S-G magnet by a further 20 degrees and repeat the N trials. Do you get
> any new binary strings? Of course not, the space of possible strings has
> already been exhausted.
>
> The message is clear, the data that any observer in any world can get is
> independent of the coefficients in the original expansion of the prepared
> state in an appropriate basis. The Born rule can have no relevance in
> many-worlds -- whether Everettian or not.
>

>  There is nothing which guarantees that all sequences will occur in any
>> finite sample.
>>

> Think again, all 2^N sequences will occur in any set of N trials.

*I think I agree with Brent. On trial 1, another world is created
(according to the MWI) where the outcome is opposite of that trial. On
trial 2, we get yet another world, or possibly the same other world as in
trial 1, where again the outcome is the opposite of that observed in this
world on trial 2. And so forth. The net result is N or less other worlds.
AG*