> [...]
>>
>> I have been looking again at Sean's account of the origin of the Born rule
>> in his new book. He gives an argument against branch counting as the basis
>> for probability which I think is very weak, bordering on the imbecilic.
>> David Wallace gives essentially the same argument in his book on the
>> Emergent Multiverse. Sean's account goes like this:
>>
>> "Let's first dispatch the wrong idea of branch counting before turning to a
>> strategy that actually works. Consider a single electron whose vertical spin
>> has been measured by an apparatus, so that decoherence and branching has
>> occurred. ... Let's imagine that the amplitudes for spin-up and spin-down
>> aren't equal, but rather we have an unbalanced state |Psi>, with unequal
>> amplitudes for the two directions.
>>
>>        |Psi> = sqrt(1/3)|spin-up> + sqrt (2/3)spin-down>.
>>
>> Since the Born rule says the probability equals the amplitude squared, we
>> should have a 1/3 probability of seeing spin-up and a 2/3 probability of
>> seeing spin-down.
>>
>> "Imagine that we didn't know about the Born rule, and were tempted to assign
>> probabilities by simple branch counting. Think about the point of view of
>> the observers on the two branches. From their perspective (1p view, Ed.),
>> those amplitudes are just invisible numbers multiplying their branch in the
>> wave function of the universe. Why should they have anything to do with
>> probabilities? (Good question, Ed.) Both observers are equally real, and
>> they don't even know which branch they're on until they look. Wouldn't it be
>> more rational, or at least more democratic, to assign them equal credences?
>>
>> "The obvious problem with that is that we're allowed to keep on measuring
>> things. Imagine that we agreed ahead of time that if we measured spin-up, we
>> would stop there, but if we measured spin-down, an automatic mechanism would
>> quickly measure another spin. This second spins is in a state of spin-right,
>> which we know can be written as a superposition of spin-up and spin-down.
>> Once we've measured it (only on the branch where the first spin was down),
>> we have three branches: one where the first spin was up, one where we got
>> down and then up, and one where we got down twice in a row. The rule of
>> 'assign equal probabilities to each branch' would tell us to assign a
>> probability of 1/3 to each of these possibilities.
>>
>> "That's silly. If we followed that rule, the probability of the original
>> spin-up branch would suddenly change when we did a measurement on the
>> spin-down branch, going from 1/2 to 1/3. ....." (pp.142-4)
>>
>> That argument is about as silly as me saying that I don't know the colour of
>> my car today because I might have it re-sprayed tomorrow!
>>
>> So I don't think Sean is into branch counting. His actual argument is little
>> more than a decision to put the Born rule in by hand,
>
> Right.  Bruno however independently hypothesizes a big number of branches as
> computational threads in his Universal Dovetailer…

That is not among my hypothesis. I assume only a very minimal arithmetic,
assumed by all scientist (+ of course Mechanism). The big number of "branches
as computational threads” is at least the power of the continuum? Eventually
the “real” number of branches might need the Continuum hypothesis, or its
negation.

> however, he apparently can't get the Born rule except in the 1 and 0 cases.

I get some minimal quantum logic + the constraint to derive the measure from
there: the complet measure, as von Neuman was hoping for its Quantum Logic”.
Yes, he failed, but not completely, and then reality is plausibly a bit more
subtle than his quantum logic.

>> since it is clear that linear evolution cannot give results that are
>> sensitive to the coefficients (amplitudes). It is very difficult to make
>> sense of his idea of branch 'weights' or 'thicknesses' when these do not
>> change the actual nature of a branch, and are not visible to the 1p view
>> from within the branch.
>
> From within a branch there is never anything visible except sequences of
> results.  You can make up God's eye view (I don't call it 3p since 3p is a
> possible view) hypotheses in which the sequence is created by some
> deterministic process, like a random number generator, which experimenters
> will never be able to infer within the life of the universe; and then say
> it's not a probability.  But I think that is not a sufficiently
> instrumentalist view of what "probability" means.  I think of probability in
> science as like energy, it takes lots of different forms: relative frequency,
> propensity, measure,...  It's essential characteristic is that its a way to
> model uncertainty...whether there is some underlying certainty or not.

I agree, despite I fight against instrumentalism.

Bruno