On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 10:32 PM Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 20 Feb 2020, at 06:12, Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 4:13 PM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <
> everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2/16/2020 2:17 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
>>
>> No,that argument is mistaken, as Kent's general argument in terms of the
>> binomial expansion shows. All 2^N persons will use the frequency operator
>> to conclude that their probabilities are the correct ones. Some will be
>> seriously wrong,
>>
>> But almost all will intersubjectively agree that p is near 0.5.  Science
>> theories are based on intersubjective agreement...not personal exepriences.
>>

> This is a point that has come up several times in this discussion of
> Adrian Kent's argument that all observers in an Everett world will think
> that their observed probabilities are the correct ones, and that other
> observers will agree. Brent has argued that all will agree that p is near
> 0.5.
>
> This argument has worried me, so I thought that some serious calculations
> were in order. If you have an even number of trials, N = 2M, the the number
> of binary strings that have equal numbers of ones and zeros (both equal to
> M) is given, from the binomial distribution, as  N!/M!*M!. Using the
> Stirling expansion for the factorial, as N gets large,
>                N!  ~  sqrt(N) N^N.
>
> So (2M)!/M!^2 ~ 1/sqrt(N).
>
> In other words, the proportion of trials with equal numbers of zeros and
> ones decreases as 1/sqrt(N) as N becomes large. This means that it is
> simply not true that the majority of observers will find a probability at
> or near p = 0.5. In fact, the proportion who find any specific probability
> decreases as N increases. This makes sense, since the number of binary
> strings increases exponentially, as 2^N, but the number of instances with
> any particular proportion of zeros and ones increases only linearly with N.
>

> That makes not much sense. To say that the probability of having a girl or
> a boy is roughy 1/2 (slightly different in China) does not mean that the
> probability of having exactly 5 girls and 5 boys is one, in a row of ten
> kids, as you argue correctly above. In fact that is (binomial 5 10) times
> (1/2)^10 = 0,246…, and get lower and lower when repeating the trials.
>
> You just give the good argument for inferring P=1/2 in the (iterated)
> self-duplication. It seems to me.

You have missed the point in a spectacular fashion. I calculated the number
of times in the 2^N binary strings that there are equal numbers of zeros
and ones -- not the probability that you will get equal numbers. If you
multiply that probability by the number of strings, you get the number I
calculated, which is N!/M!*M! (for N=2M).

It is the fact that this number goes to zero as N goes to infinity that
shows that equal probabilities do not dominate the complete set of binary
strings. This complete the proof that assuming p = 1/2 in the iterated
WM-duplication case is completely unjustified by the data.

Bruce