> On 20 Jun 2020, at 22:26, Lawrence Crowell <goldenfieldquaterni...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 7:01:35 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:
>

> On 6/19/2020 9:35 AM, John Clark wrote:
>> A gene called "ARHGAP11B" that is found in humans and in no other animal has
>> long been thought to be at least partially responsible for humans having an
>> extremely large brain with a high degree of cortical folding. All other
>> primates have a similar gene, but a point mutation happened between 500,000
>> and 1.5 million years ago and a single C was changed to a G in the human
>> version. In yesterday's issue of the journal Science researchers report than
>> when Genetic engineering was used to insert the human gene ARHGAP11B into
>> the fertilized egg of a small monkey (a marmoset ) the result was a fetus
>> with about 45% more neurons in the neocortex than a normal fetus and 3 times
>> as many glial cells. A marmoset gestation period is 152 days but because it
>> had a human gene in it the fetus was aborted after just 101 days due to
>> ethical guidelines, so it's not known how such an animal's behavior would
>> change if it was allowed to come to term.
>>
>> Human-specific ARHGAP11B increases size and folding of primate neocortex in
>> the fetal marmoset
>> <https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/06/17/science.abb2401>
>
> So one gene made it necessary to abort because it might have a
> humaness...which you must not abort because humaness implies a soul??
>
> How did our ethical guidelines become so irrational?
>
> I wonder how it would affect a dog?  I'll be there would be a market for
> smarter dogs.  And where there's a market, there's a way.
>
> Brent
>
> I don't think the matter is over ethereal ideas about souls. The implications
> of this research are potentially explosive. A gene in soybeans produces an
> enzyme involved with a pathway that produces a compound that blocks
> glyphosphate. Glyphosphate inhibits the production of several amino acids in
> plants. The gene in soybeans is then copied multiple times in the soybeans to
> make then super resistant to glyphosphate. In principle the same could be
> done with humans; insert additional copies of the ARHGAP11B gene to create
> super-smart babies. The question of course is, what can go wrong with this?
> There are potential nightmare scenarios for people so genetically engineered.
> Further, a sort of "brains arms race" could lead to generations of young
> people who are mental freaks. They might be in some ways very smart, but they
> could also easily be emotionally dysfunctional or mentally ill.
>
> My brother was a plant molecular biologist and geneticist and I used to have
> arguments over this. I am not entirely against genetic modification, but I
> think great care and caution is in order. My brother was more laissez faire
> about this.

I share the caution, but in the long run(s), we have to defend our values, as
our bodies will change, no matter what.

There has been results showing that the brain augments his size in absence of
gravity, leading to blindness or super-headache and often both for those
astronauts staying too much longer in space. So to explore space, we will need
genetic self-modification. Eventually, we will use many diverse forms of
Mechanism, to really explores “physically” our local neighbourhood, but also
get the “place” for the experimental mathematics too, and pursue the search
inwards.

At least we know that in the terrestrial plane the dispute between security
(totality) and liberty (universality) never ends.
This can be related to the hesitation between collectivity (multi-cellularity)
and individuality (mono-cellularity).

Bruno