> On 8 Jul 2020, at 13:57, Philip Thrift <cloudver...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 9:10:28 AM UTC-5 Lawrence Crowell wrote:
>

> I think mathematics is best when it can be used to actually calculate things,
> whether that be with the physical world or in expanding areas of mathematics
> itself. The one thing that always caused some distaste for axiomatic set
> theory is that it often seems so detached and remote from anything else.
>
> LC
>
> Set theory (mathematics) does seem pretty irrelevant for (computational)
> physics today.
>
> But forcing might be the way it could be:

But the links you gave us are not quite convincing for this, as it use the non
standard models (which I take as a defect of first order logic) to develop a
non standard notion of computation. It will be useful if Mechanism is wrong,
but until there are some evidence for this, it looks a bit like advanced Sunday
philosophy …. (Grin).

> Scientific proof-oriented programming (S-pop)
> https://codicalist.wordpress.com/2020/07/06/scientific-proof-oriented-programming-s-pop/
>
> <https://codicalist.wordpress.com/2020/07/06/scientific-proof-oriented-programming-s-pop/>

Don’t hesitate to sum up your point. Forcing is just a powerful technic to
build weird model of set theory. Forcing is a particular S4-like modal logic.
The relation between Smullyan-Fitting “quantisation in S4” and the material
mode of the self-referential machine is a bit an open problem for me. I might
say more on this in some future.

Bruno