On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 2:46 PM John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 2:51 PM Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The scientific consensus is based on scientific studies, is it not?
>>

> Yes.
>
> *> Every single study <https://c19study.com/> (dozens of them) that
>> investigated early and prophylactic use of HCQ showed a benefit, without
>> exception.*
>>

> A Randomized Trial of Hydroxychloroquine as Postexposure Prophylaxis for
> Covid-19 <https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2016638>
>
> *> So then, what is the scientific consensus on early/prophylactic use?*
>

> *"CONCLUSIONS: After high-risk or moderate-risk exposure to Covid-19,
> hydroxychloroquine did not prevent illness compatible with Covid-19 or
> confirmed infection when used as postexposure prophylaxis within 4 days
> after exposure. [...] Side effects were more common with hydroxychloroquine
> than with placebo"*

The *CONCLUSIONS* don't align with what the *RESULTS* section said right
above.

"We enrolled 821 asymptomatic participants. Overall, 87.6% of the
participants (719 of 821) reported a high-risk exposure to a confirmed
Covid-19 contact. The incidence of new illness compatible with Covid-19 did
not differ significantly between participants receiving hydroxychloroquine
(49 of 414 [11.8%]) and those receiving placebo (58 of 407 [14.3%]); the
absolute difference was −2.4 percentage points (95% confidence interval,
−7.0 to 2.2; P=0.35). Side effects were more common with hydroxychloroquine
than with placebo (40.1% vs. 16.8%), but no serious adverse reactions were
reported."

So infection rates in the control group were 14.3% and in the group
receiving HCQ were 11.8%.  That's an absolute risk reduction of
(14.3-11.8)/14.3 = 17.5%.

Moreover, the claim is that HCQ reduces severity of the symptoms, leading
to less hospitalization and death, not that it grants immunity from
contracting it.

The test did not find a negative result, it failed to reach statistical
significance because their sample size was too small.  See more information
about that study here: https://c19study.com/boulware.html

Jason