On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 11:29 AM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <
everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> On 9/4/2020 4:00 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
>
> On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 5:37 AM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <
> <everything-list@googlegroups.com>everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
>> On 9/4/2020 4:43 AM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 9:32 PM smitra <smi...@zonnet.nl> wrote:
>>
>>> Even if the MWI is false and the wavefunction collapses to produce only
>>> one of the possible outcomes with a probability given by the Born rule,
>>> you'll still get all possibilities realized in a generic infinite
>>> universe, whether it's spatially infinite or a universe that exists for
>>> an infinite long time.
>>>
>>> The only way to find out what exists beyond the realm we've explored s
>>> to do experiments. No philosophical reasoning about the interpretation
>>> of probabilities can ever settle whether or not the universe is so large
>>> or will exists for such a long time that another copy of me exists.
>>> That's why these discussions are not so useful as an argument of whether
>>> the MWI is correct or not.
>>>

>> I think something along those lines was Sean Carroll's answer to the
>> points David Albert raised. Unfortunately, it doesn't wash!
>>
>> Applying the Born rule to the repeated measurement scenario tells you
>> that the probability of the extreme branches is low; whereas, the idea that
>> all possible outcomes occur on every trial trivially implies that the
>> probability of the extreme cases is exactly one. The contradiction couldn't
>> be more stark, and waffling about infinite universes isn't going to change
>> that -- the theory gives two, mutually contradictory, results.
>>

>> But the probability of *observing* extreme cases isn't 1 for a given
>> observer.
>>

> And the probability isn't 1/2^N for a given observer either. The observer
> observes what he observes. Probability is relevant for predictions, not
> post hoc observations.
>
> We are talking about the predictions of the theory, not the experiences of
> individual observers. I think Sean tried this evasive tactic as well, and
> Albert rightly pointed out that that just makes everything idexical, and
> ultimately makes science impossible.
>
> And it is not just the extreme branches that have low probability. Given
> the repeated measurement scenario we have been talking about, there are N
> repetitions of the experiment, giving 2^N distinct binary sequences of
> results. Applying the Born rule to each possible sequence shows that it has
> probability 1/2^N.
>

> But the theory isn't about the probability of a specific sequence, it's
> about the probability of |up> vs |down> in the sequence without regard for
> order.  So there will, if the theory is correct, be many more sequences
> with a frequency of |up> near some theoretically computed proportion |a|^2
> than sequences not near this proportion.

The theory is about the probabilitiies of observations. The observation in
question here is a sequence of |up> / |down> results, given that the
probability for each individual outcome is 0.5. If the theory cannot give a
probability for the sequence, then multiply the probabilities for each
particular result in your sequence of measurements. The number of sequences
with particular proportions of up or down results is irrelevant for this
calculation.

Again, you are just attempting to divert attention from the obvious result
that the Born rule calculation gives a different probability than expected
when every outcome occurs for each measurement. In the Everett case, every
possible sequence necessarily occurs. This does not happen in the genuine
stochastic case, where only one (random) sequence is produced.

Bruce

Brent