On 9/4/2020 10:18 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 2:42 PM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>> wrote:

    On 9/4/2020 7:02 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
    On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 11:29 AM 'Brent Meeker' via Everything
    List <everything-list@googlegroups.com
    <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>> wrote:

        But the theory isn't about the probability of a specific
        sequence, it's about the probability of |up> vs |down> in the
        sequence without regard for order.  So there will, if the
        theory is correct, be many more sequences with a frequency of
        |up> near some theoretically computed proportion |a|^2 than
        sequences not near this proportion.

    The theory is about the probabilitiies of observations. The
    observation in question here is a sequence of |up> / |down>
    results, given that the probability for each individual outcome
    is 0.5. If the theory cannot give a probability for the sequence,

    It can. But QM only predicts the p=0.5.  To have a prediction for
    a specific sequence HHTTHHHTTHTHTH... you need extra assumptions
    about indenpendence.

Sure. And independence of the sequential observations is clearly implied by the set up.

    And given those assumptions your theory will be contradicted with
    near certainty.

Why?

The probability of getting any given entry in the sequence is 1/2, so the probability of getting the whole sequence right is 1/2^N .

    Which is why I say the test of QM is whether p=0.5 is consistent
    with the observed sequence in the sense of predicting the relative
    frequency of H and T, not in the sense of predicting HHTTHHHTTHTHTH...

I am not attempting to predict a particular sequence.

That's what you seemed to reply when I said QM was only predicting the relative frequency of H within the sequence. If you now agree with that, then you will also agree that there will many sequences with a relative frequency of 0.5 for H and given any epsilon the fraction of such sequences repetitions with 0.5-epsilon<frequency(H)<0.5+epsilon goes 1 as N->oo. Which is what we mean by confirming the QM prediction of 0.5.

All that I have said is that the probability of any such sequence in N independent trials is 1/2^N. And that is simple probability theory, which cannot be denied.

    then multiply the probabilities for each particular result in
    your sequence of measurements. The number of sequences with
    particular proportions of up or down results is irrelevant for
    this calculation.

    Again, you are just attempting to divert attention from the
    obvious result that the Born rule calculation gives a different
    probability than expected when every outcome occurs for each
    measurement. In the Everett case, every possible sequence
    necessarily occurs. This does not happen in the genuine
    stochastic case, where only one (random) sequence is produced.

    In the Everett theory a measurement of spin up for a particle
    prepared in spin x results in two outcomes...only one is observed.
    If that is enough to dismiss Everett then all the this discussion
    of probability and the Born rule is irrelevant.

I have no idea what you are talking about! Nothing like that was ever suggested. Everett predicts that in such a measurement, both outcomes obtain -- in separate branches.

As I understand your argument you're saying Everett is falsified because, no matter what N is, it predicts a branch HHHHHHHHHH...H which...What? Is wrong? Doesn't occur? Is inconsistent with the Born rule (it isn't)? Is not observed?

If you just say it predicts something which is not observed; then my point is that it always predicts outcomes that are not observed unless P=1.

Brent

But the probability of this is one. Repeat N times. N time one is still just one. There is nothing more to it than that. I think you are being desperate in your attempts to play 'advocatus diaboli'. The point is that the Born rule is inconsistent with Everett.

Bruce
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAFxXSLRcLwLQa2SLzViEqkZX6nU1%3Dp6SXUd7WA0nuzaiyOw0yg%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAFxXSLRcLwLQa2SLzViEqkZX6nU1%3Dp6SXUd7WA0nuzaiyOw0yg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.