The difficulty in maintaining quantum coherence is the only reason we don't
have practical quantum computers today, but Monday's issue of the journal
Nature reported on a major advance in solving that problem. For the first
time it has been proven that a quantum error correcting code called the
"Bacon-Shor code" actually works in practice and not just in theory. They
combined 9 physical Qubits that work correctly 98.9% of the time to make
one virtual logic Qubit that works correctly 99.4% of the time, and that
virtual logic Qubit would be the one you would use in an actual
computation. Until now nobody has been able to prove that a logical Qubit
can be made that is more reliable than any of the parts it is made out of.
This illustrates how different the quantum world is from the macro world
we're accustomed to. If 9 people on an assembly line install a part into a
machine and install the part correctly 98.9% of the time then the
probability the entire finished machine will work correctly is only
(0.989)^9 = 90.5% , but if the workers lived in the quantum world and they
assemble the parts the way that Bacon-Shor tells them to then the finish
machine will work correctly 99.4% of the time not 90.5%. The best thing is
that although there are still engineering problems to solve there doesn't
seem to be any fundamental reason Bacon-Shor can't be scaled up.

Kenneth Brown, what are the authors of the paper, says:

*"What's amazing about fault tolerance is it's a recipe for how to take
small unreliable parts and turn them into a very reliable device. And
fault-tolerant quantum error correction will enable us to make very
reliable quantum computers from faulty quantum parts. The key part of
quantum error correction is redundancy, which is why we needed 9 qubits in
order to get one logical qubit. That redundancy helps us look for errors
and correct them, because an error on a single qubit can be protected by
the other eight."*

Laird Egan, another author of the paper says:

"This is really a demonstration of quantum error correction improving
performance of the underlying components for the first time. It's really a
proof of concept that quantum error correction works. It shows that we can
get all the pieces together and do all the steps. And there's no reason
that other platforms can't do the same thing as they scale up."

Fault-tolerant control of an error-corrected qubit
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03928-y>