On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 at 4:20:49 AM UTC+3 Bruce wrote:

> Yes. Schrodinger had the cat in a box to emphasize the idea that the cat
> was in a macro-superposition of alive/dead. This misled Wigner to the
> extent that he thought the state collapsed only when the box was opened.
> All of this was made redundant when it was realized that decoherence
>  rendered the state definite almost instantaneously. Saibal makes the same
> mistake when he claims that Alice, after her measurement, is still in a
> superposition until Bob sees her result. The idea that the superposition
> still exists since decoherence is only FAPP is something of a red herring
> -- in MWI, Alice has branched according to her result into up and down
> branches that no longer interfere. There is no macro-superposition.

-1- Decoherence (by a chaotic environment) turns an entangled superposition
into a non-coherent density matrix, only if we subsequently omit the
environment from the description of the system. (Not if we keep the
environment in the description.)

-2- The "box" (in which Scroedinger's cat is enclosed, with the lethal
apparatus) contains also its "environment", so a quantum descrition of this
box describes the environment also. Therefore I do not agree that
decoherence INSIDE THE BOX will ruin the superposition ASSESSED FROM
OUTSIDE THE BOX. So, Wigner was right. I suppose that Saibal also is right,
though I have not checked that message (sorry).

I rephrase my conclusion. I agree with you, on the splits being technically
non-local, but this is only an artifact of describing the dynamical
evolution of the wavefunction in space-like slices forming a time-like
stack. Thus a split affects the whole slice in which it occurs. But seen
from a moving train, it would be a different slice! Only on and inside the
light cone, the split is physically meaningful.

Thanks to your insistence, now I see the difference between non-local HV
theories, which violate relativity, and MWI, which does not.

I am writing in a hurry, because these days are hectic. I may have missed
some important postings, sorry. I would welcome any hints (with the name
and time of posting) sent to my G-mailbox: GeKahrim.

George K.