On Monday, May 23, 2022 at 6:30:30 PM UTC-6 Alan Grayson wrote:

> On Monday, May 23, 2022 at 5:54:10 PM UTC-6 meeke...@gmail.com wrote:
>

>> On 5/23/2022 4:11 PM, Alan Grayson wrote:
>>

>> On Monday, May 23, 2022 at 11:57:04 AM UTC-6 meeke...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> Sure, but what is the origin of the self-reflective function of mind or
>>> consciousness? AG
>>>

>>> It makes it possible to entertain and deceive others.  Every hear of
>>> seduction?
>>>
>>> Brent
>>>

>> Very clever, but can you give me one example of a self-referencing
>> computer system? AG
>>

>> Sure.  Lots of computers in high-reliability applications do a lot of
>> self checking.   But what's that have to do with the origin of
>> consciousness?  Computers are not yet self reproducing, so Darwinian
>> evolution doesn't apply to them.
>>
>> Brent
>>

> Self checking and natural selection seem to go together to produce
> "consciousness", but we really don't know what it is to analyse, so these
> discussions go nowhere, and always has. AG

I'm expecting a comment / criticism that my claim that self-checking and
natural selection go together to produce "consciousness" is tantamount to
the claim that acquired characteristics are inherited, which goes against
the usual interpretation of evolution by natural selection. But isn't it
now accepted that at least some acquired characteristics are in fact
inherited? TIA, AG