On Sun, Dec 18, 2022 at 12:53 PM spudboy100 via Everything List <
everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> We shall see about hypersonic weapons, just know that Joey is responding
> in kind.
>
> Yes, you and the Christians are opposed to my Brave New World approach to
> birthing. It is however a way up from abortion and if we are going to be a
> more, ethical species, this would be a huge step. It will sell, but its not
> being offered by progressives, nor, conservatives, because of their
> dedication to ideology.

It's only more ethical if you think an organism completely lacking a
functioning brain can still have human-like moral worth merely by virtue of
having human DNA--the neurons in the cortex of a fetus are mostly lacking
in synapses until around the end of the second trimester, and no coherent
brain waves are seen until then. Seems hard to justify that stance if one
doesn't believe in a "soul", or in any kind of essentialistic notion that
"human organism" is a natural kind (in the philosophical sense of a totally
objective division in reality of the kind discussed at
https://iep.utm.edu/nat-kind/ ) so that mindless zygotes/fetuses are
objectively "human organisms" while other cases, like a sperm cell
approaching an egg cell or a collection of human stem cells kept alive in a
petri dish, are not "human organisms". If one wants to have some kind of
ethical system that can easily adapt to a possible transhuman future, the
idea that a human has a higher moral status than say a fish can't be rooted
specifically in human DNA, not if one wants to say that an AI or
genetically engineered animal could also potentially have the same higher
moral value--it would have to be rooted in something more abstract, like
some broad characterization of mental abilities or form of consciousness.
But any such abstract characterization of what gives an entity special
moral worth is probably not going to include fetuses before the onset of
higher brain function.