On Wed, May 24, 2023 at 7:56 AM Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

*> Can I ask you what you would believe would happen to the conscious of
> the individual if you replaced the right hemisphere of the brain with a
> black box that interfaced identically with the left hemisphere, but
> internal to this black box is nothing but a random number generator, and it
> is only by fantastic luck that the output of the RNG happens to have caused
> it's interfacing with the left hemisphere to remain unchanged?*

If that were to happen absolutely positively nothing would happen to the
consciousness of the individual, except that such a thing would be
astronomically (that's far too wimpy a word but is the best I could come up
with) to occur, and even if it did it would be astronomically squared
unlikely that such "fantastic luck" would continue and the individual would
remain conscious for another nanosecond. But I want to compete with you in
figuring out a thought experiment that is even more ridiculous than yours,
in fact I want to find one that is almost as ridiculous as the Chinese
Room. Here is my modest proposal:

Have ALL the neurons and not just half behave randomly,  and let them
produce exactly the same output that Albert Einstein's brain did, and let
them continue doing that for all of the 76 years of Albert Einstein's life.

In anticipation of your inevitable questions .... Yes, that would be a
reincarnation of Albert Einstein. And yes he would be conscious, assuming
that the original Albert Einstein was conscious and that I am not the only
conscious being in the universe. And yes randomness producing consciousness
would be bizarre, but the bizarre is always to be expected if the starting
conditions are bizarre, and in this case your starting conditions are
bizarre to the bazaar power.  And no, something like that is not going to
happen, not for 76 years, not even for a picosecond .

n76