On Mon, Mar 4, 2024 at 2:41 PM Dylan Distasio <interz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> *> Whether Trump was actually guilty of insurrection is a moot point from
> a legal perspective in ruling on a state taking this kind of action.   It
> would have to come from Congress.*

Then why didn't the 14th amendment specify that the federal government, not
the states, were the ultimate authority on who committed insurrection and
who did not? Historically, unless the US Constitution said otherwise, the
states were allowed to write their own election laws. For example, Wyoming
gave women the right to vote as early as 1869, but the 19th amendment which
gave all women in all the states the right to vote didn't become law until
1920.  Another example would be the direct election of senators, in 1908
Oregon law said senators would be determined by the popular vote, but that
didn't become universal across the country until 1913 with the passage of
the 17th amendment.

 > *everyone should feel good that the SCOTUS put personal feelings aside,
> and did their job.*

It's absolutely outrageous that Clarence Thomas didn't recuse himself on
this decision because his wife was part of the mob that attacked the
capital on January 6, 2021. And I do NOT feel good about that because if
that isn't a conflict of interest then what the hell is?

There's something else I don't feel good about. When it comes to a criminal
case that is likely to harm Trump, like deciding if a former president can
be prosecuted for ordering seal team six to assassinate a political rival,
the Supreme Court is doing everything in its power to slow down the case
until after the elections because after he becomes president again Trump
will simply make that criminal case against him disappear.

Trump team argues assassination of rivals is covered by presidential
immunity
<https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4398223-trump-team-argues-assassination-of-rivals-is-covered-by-presidential-immunity/#:~:text=Former%20President%20Trump's%20legal%20team,broad%20immunity%20to%20criminal%20prosecution.>

But when it comes to a case that could help Trump like this one, then
the supreme court  moves at warp speed. It's stuff like that gives
hypocrisy a bad name.

thb