Hi,

Some of my thoughts on replacement of gtkhtml with gecko
(gtkmozembed/gtkmozedit).

The basic set of features which would be needed in a gtkhtml replacement
are enumerated below:-

- Accessibility support
- RTL support
- Support for editing html objects like frames, iframes, etc.
- Support for emacs keybindings.
- Support for preview and print.
- Support for html embedded objects.
- Support for cut/copy-paste, drag-n-drop.
- Support for images and animations.
- Support for undo-redo.
- Support for IM.
- Text justification
- Find/Replace
- Dictionary interface
- Link handling
- Sub-parts of evolution like calender, tasks, addressbook interact with
gtkhtml for their stream display.

Some of the above, as I understand, can be implemented via the command
manager of the gecko editor, whereas, others might need little more
work, which is not a problem.

What is more important is implementing all the requirements finally, and
for now, determining if gecko editor provides a platform for achieving
it, or not.

As pointed out on irc yesterday, gtkhtml is buggy. But then, which
module is not? That may not be a reason good enough for it's
replacement, unless we have met a dead end and the open bugs are not
fixable [1].

However, if mozilla technology promises a better user experience at face
value, then it is worth the migration.

GtkHTML does not support CSS, DOM as yet. This could be because it was
designed to be a lightweight mail editor/renderer, in the first place.
However, if mails use CSS more now, it would be useful to add it.

To do this, we could either simply add it's support; or, we could try
using gtkmozembed for rendering (on similar lines of epiphany). The
editing part could still be left to gtkhtml (or maybe a scaled down
version of gtkhtml).

I would like to re-affirm that I too favor switching to gtkmoz*, if we
could create a plan/design, to fill-up for the existing gtkhtml
features, along with that of adding new ones. Since I have not much
expertise in mozilla-related stuff, someone else could do this analysis
and I could help by reviewing it. Philip's initial investigation on the
replacement plan is a very good start (thanks for the wiki page on the
same). I admire and appreciate Rob's gtkmozedit work. I would be glad to
pitch-in all help possible, from my side.

Cheers,
Kaushal

[1]: I would appreciate if someone could send me a list of those gtkhtml
bugs which he/she considers to be critical that it hampers their work.
--
Kaushal Kumar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>