Okay, forking Camel is not what I want. Nobody wants that. It's not a
good idea.

However, it would be more easy (for me) if Camel would have its own
configure.ac file. That way would it be more easy to do a 'make dist' of
just Camel, I think.

The evolution-data-server configure.in could very easily forward the
configure stage of Camel using AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS()

I think it's even possible to pass variables from the first configure.in
to the next configure.ac. And if not, I guess we can simply write-out a
m4 file and m4_include() that one in the second configure.ac. For
example in case you want to pass version information from a to b.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
work: vanhoof at x-tend dot be