I'd say that you have something seriously wrong with your computer then.
I'm running a 1Ghz thunderbird with 256Mb of ram under kernel 2.4.3 and
evolution takes about 1 second to pop up the composer window.  There is
NOTHING wrong between the kernel and evolution.  If there is a problem
it is with the way that your kernel was configured or various other
things with your system.  Also, evolution only takes about 4 to 5
seconds to start up the first time from scratch and a 900 is not that
much slower then a 1000 so I'd check to see if you haven't got a lot of
frivalous things configured into your system that might be causing the
problem.

--
Sejal Patel ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

"I can call spirits from the vasty deep.  Why so can I, or so can any man;
but will they come when you do call for them?"
                                        Shakespeare, King Henry IV, Part I