From: Ludwig, Mark [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2001 10:15 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: AVAPI virus-scan preventing Brick-level backups

Hi all,

I am having a problem that includes several  apps and I hope someone has
seen a similar issue. The list of products involved:

NT Server 4.0 Cluster Server
SP 6a
Exchange Server 5.5
SP 4
ArcServeIT 6.61 SP 2a
Trend ScanMail for Exchange 3.52

Problem: Since switching ScanMail to run in AVAPI mode from MAPI mode we are
unable to perform Brick-Level backups on our Exchange Server. (Regular
backups are fine) In the ArcServe Log I see error E8601 Failed to connect
agent (AGENT = dbaxchg2, EC = 402). When I go to Arcserve and try and
manually do a brick backup as soon as I tickle the icon for the brick an
error pops up: EC = EXCH Exchange Agent - - (402) "Exchange system error."
Now I've called ArcServe and I've done research and found that 402 normally
means the mailbox you are trying to restore is either not there or hidden. I
have verified that that's not the case, and their support doesn't seem to
know of a problem with AVAPI virus & brick backups. I found one KB article
Q264731
(<http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q264731>)bu
t my Registry already had the suggested settings.
I'm hoping someone has been able to resolve a similar issue because
management is talking about going back to MAPI mode in order to continue
bricklevel backups which I am trying to fight against.

Thanks,

Mark

The information contained in this email message is privileged and confidential
information intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is
addressed.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copy of this message is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error, please immediately
notify Veronis, Suhler & Associates, Inc. by telephone, fax, or email and delete the
message.  Thank you.