From: Dillon, Jeff [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2002 11:47 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: fix monitor

If you have a zero budget or zero boss, don't let the 'ole flyback
"capacitor" scare you away.  There are lotsa useful pots in there that can
fix the focus, the brightness, etc, and you can futz with the magnets if the
screen is lumpy.  Likewise, many a monitor has been resurrected by replacing
a $.25 fuse or the smelly burnt component smoldering on the board.  Unplug
the thing for a few minutes (an hour if you're paranoid--"years" won't be
necessary), use insulated tools, and borrow some rubber gloves if your hair
is already spiked.  I do agree that it is rarely worth paying for this, so
dive in....